Chapter 14

I kept looking back at the little town. I had let down the shifters. I could've saved them. But it seemed that it was only Trinity and I who had escaped. I sighed. I wanted to curl up in a ball and leave myself to die. I hadn't rescued Caspian. The sight of Caspian's horrified panther face was forever etched in my mind. Hisses, growls, and shrieks echoed in my thoughts.

"I could've saved them. But, I let them down. I let them down!"

"No, you didn't, Madelyn. There was no way you could've rescued all of them. Their weapons were far too powerful."

"Why did that Speedy have to tell them? Why?"

"Some people are just evil-spirited, Madelyn. But know that it's not your fault."

"It is. I could've told Caspian, and he could've prepared. But I didn't tell him, because I'm a coward. A big, fat coward."

"You're not big, fat, or a coward. You're a strong woman that can do anything she puts her mind to, and I believe in you. You'll rescue them; I know you will."

At that moment, a loud yelp ran through the forest. It sounded like a wolf made it. I decided to take a chance.

"Are you a shifter?"

I waited a moment, then, there was a weak "Yes."

"We're coming. Don't attack!"

I glanced at Trinity, and she nodded. "Let's go then."

"Say something so we can hear you!" I shouted.

"I am right now." It was coming from in front of me. I landed to see a silvery furred wolf with a gash on her side.

"Thank you so much," she whispered "The humans came, and they attacked me. I was barely able to get away."

"Just stay still." I whispered back "I'm going to heal you."

I placed my hand on her wound, some of the blood getting on it. I need to wash my hands later.

The wound began to close, first becoming a scab, then healing. Fur grew in; it was like the wound had never been there. The wolf shifter was healed, but I was exhausted. My stomach growled, and my mouth was like a desert. I pulled a few dollars out of my pocket, then placed it in front of the wolf shifter.

"Shift into your human form and then buy something to eat and a bottle of water. It doesn't have to taste good; it just needs to be cheap."

"But Madelyn," began Trinity "Don't we have bags of foo..."

"Yes, we left them at the town. I still have my phone, but that's the only thing I have. We don't have any food."