2.1. Flashes of the Past

CHAPTER TWO

THE DREAM PART I: THE WHEEL OF FORTUNE

It's a sunny day in the peaceful village of Arkvale, Lore. Thanks to the hunters, deadly monsters are rarely seen around there – except if one is foolish or daring enough to venture into the forest. And Arkvale itself is home of some good hunters, as well as peasant militias – peasants are quite adequately trained to defend themselves from the dangers from outside, organized neatly with the village chief's leadership. No monsters in the meadows near the village either, only common beasts and cattle pasture from the lush, green pastures. We can also see oak, willow and elm trees in the woods not far from there.

The image of the peaceful meadow is made complete with two small kids, a ten-year old blonde boy and an eight-year old girl playing joyfully at the meadow. The boy is playing a tune with his pan flute, and the girl is singing and dancing, following the tune.

O' heavenly acorns of peace,

Come down to us from the Living Tree

'Cause we're making a song for thee,

For the hope of the happy and free

O' will the joy last forever true,

In a beautiful life we're going through

O' will the joy can never spent,

The springs of love flowing without end

O' sweet love, sweet love,

Nurture us with your fruits of peace

O' sweet love, sweet love,

Protect us with your flails of grace

The Song of Love and Peace

- By Keith Arnûviel the Loremaker, Elf Bard

It's a simple song they just learnt from the wandering bard who just came five days ago in the village. The song was made to make people think, can love cause peace? Or must there be peace first, and then the seeds love can grow? They are surely relevant to each other – but remember even in the time of war true love can be seen. Of course peace is the situation – the fertile ground where love can bloom and grow. But yes, in a certain way, love can cause peace. The love for the country and the loved ones makes one does everything he can to defend them : to try to coexist with others, or if others refuse to coexist and try to destroy everything that is dear to one's heart, one may choose to fight and die for it, for love's sake.

The kids' simple, childish minds certainly can't understand the meaning of this tune completely, but as the tune gives them joy, they keep on dancing, singing and playing music until they are tired and they lie on the grass, staring at the sky above them.

'Er... Laetitia?' says the boy.

The girl, Laetitia answers, 'Yes?'

'You sang very well, just like the bard'.

'Well, thank you, Robert.'

And Laetitia gives Robert a friendly kiss as thanks for the compliment.

They pause for a while. Then Laetitia comments,

'Er, Robert, are you sure this is alright? I mean, us playing in the meadows far from the village?'

'That's all right, Tisha (Laetitia's nickname). My mom has given me permisson.'

'Hey, she gave you permission to PLAY with me only – not to go to this place.'