Birthdays,troublesome things

Merlin has been in Camelot for 8 years, Arthur survived, Merlin  healed Gwaine, and Arthur made Merlin court sorcerer. Gwen and Arthur had a three year old son and Merlin was helping prepare like he always did for everyones' birthdays. Merlin somehow managed to remember everyones' birthdays, even if they forgot it themselves. Every time someone asked when his birthday was he would say it had already past and made sure they dropped it. Overtime they said they would never forget it and repay Merlin, they never did because they never found out when it was. Every time Arthur bugged him, he would either change the subject or give Arthur the silent treatment until he dropped it. 

  During the celebration Gwen noticed Merlin wasn't there. She told Arthur, but he dismissed that Merlin was probably making sure the food was good and not poisoned or something like that. Gwen recluently dropped it. By the time it was over, nobody had seen a glimpse of Merlin at all. The knights searched the castle, Gwen asked around the servants, Arthur looked around the village and everywhere Merlin would be doing his chores even though he wasn't supposed to be and Gaius said he didn't send Merlin for herbs, there wasn't a magical threat, he wasn't in his chambers and he hadn't see Merlin since the day before.

   After awhile, they all met up in the throne room.

" Any luck?" Arthur asked earning a chorus of no's and the shaking of heads

" Well where could he be?" Gwen asked, very worried

" Wait, did anyone think to check his workplace?" Dwaine asked making everyone look at each other and run off

   When they got there, he was asleep on his desk, with ink all of his hands and face and paper everywhere. There were crumpled papers overflowing the floors, his bookcases half empty with the missing books strewn across the room, ruined quills everywhere, empty ink bottles everywhere, half eaten food on the desk, spilled ink on the floor, and Merlin at the head of it with dark bags under his eyes and covered in ink while snoring softly. 

" Woah, he has really been overworking himself" Leon spoke, breaking the silence 

" I wonder if this is what he's like for every birthday" Percival wondered aloud making everyone else wonder the same thing

" And here we are not even knowing the date of his" Elyan said 

" I wonder if Gaius knows" Leon asked making everyone look at each other and run to Gaius, unknowingly waking up Merlin on the way out. Once they were gone, he groaned, knowing they would never drop it now. He cleaned his chambers, his desk and himself before leaving a note saying where he would be and that he was fine. He left to clear his head at his favorite place, lake avalon. 

  " Gaius?" Gwen called once they got there

" Yes my lady?" Gains replied

" Oh Gaius you know to call me Gwen, anyway, we were wondering if you know when Merlin's birthday is?" Gwen asked sweetly

" Why on earth would you want to know that?" Gaius asked surprised " Has he not told you?" 

" Told us what?" Arthur asked 

"He despises his birthday, he is always so grumpy whenever it comes around" Gaius explained

" He hates his birthday? Why?" Percival asked

" I'm afraid that's his tale to tell, just know it's a touchy subject for him, tread carefully, an emotional warlock isn't very easy to deal with" Gaius warned them making them nod 

  When they got to his study, they were surprised to find it clean and empty. Arthur read the note and they all left to the Lake avalon, since merlin showed them where he was one time when he went missing. When they got there, he was sitting there, skipping and throwing rocks in the lake, while also sometimes making shapes out of water.