Chapter Eight

Song for Chapter Eight
X's and O's by Elaine Faye
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~£~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My eyes looked down at my hand as I walked towards the front door of the school. I sighed a little after a moment, putting my hand back to my side. What had happened yesterday with Theo had seemed to be on my mind a lot last night. I didn't know why it had been, but it was. It wasn't just the fact that he had held my hand to help me fix my bag, but also that he seemed more then willing to help me. I just couldn't seem to figure out wether or not he was someone that I should trust. I let out another sigh, looking over at Lydia as she, Malia, and I walked towards the school doors.

"The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCammon." Lydia read from the cover of a book held in her hand, as we walked through the school doors. After she said this, she stopped walking, starring down at the book, looking like she remembered something. "What?" Malia asked her. Lydia then began walking, Malia and I beginning to walk again as well. "I don't know. Something about it. Has anyone actually read it yet?" Lydia asked. "Just me. And I don't understand any of it." Malia told her. "We should probably all read it." Lydia replied. "Kira's working on that." Malia told her.

Once we got to Malia's locker, I stood next to Lydia, looking down at my shoes. "Stiles said he can't did anything on the author. He thinks it's a pin name." Malia told her. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Lydia flip the book over.

"In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive." Lydia began. I looked up as she said this, realizing that that was just what we thought was happening now. It seemed as though all three of us noticed this, and we all gave each other looks back at forth. Lydia looked back down at the book, continuing to read. "Days later they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc as spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors." Lydia read, before looking up at Malia. Once she had finished reading, I looked back down at my shoes, right after Malia shut her locker. "Sounds vaguely familiar. How does it end?" Lydia asked her. "It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one." Malia replied. "Let me guess, there is no volume two." Lydia said, her voice sounding a little upset with that. "I think we're living volume two." Malia suggested. "Then the real question is, is this a novel, or someone's prediction?" Lydia said.

It was quiet for a minute, but I didn't look up to see why. I was thinking of to much at the moment to worry about why Malia and Lydia had gotten quiet. "Adeline." Lydia said, causing me to look up. "Hm?" I asked, looking between Malia and Lydia. "Are you okay? Your being kind of quiet." Lydia asked. I put on a smile, and gave her a nod. "Yeah. I'm fine." I told her, my heart beat speeding up a little, not wanting to let what was on my mind slip out f my mouth. "Are you sure? Your hearts beating kind of faster then normal." Malia said. I looked over at her, giving her the same reassuring smile and nod. "Yeah. Just, got a lot on my mind." I told her. Both of them just nodded, letting it go.

As much as I wanted to tell them what happened yesterday, I couldn't. I knew that both of them, especially Lydia, wouldn't mind talking about boys with me. Especially since I had exactly and an actual boyfriend yet. However, I couldn't tell them about Theo. I couldn't tell anyone. Not when most people saw him as I threat. I, on the other hand, wasn't sure what he was. I still wasn't sure if I trusted him or not. I don't even know what my feelings were towards him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~£~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hand spun the black combination lock around, putting into three digit passcode. After I had, I popped the lock open with my right hand, holding a stack of binders in my left. Once I had gotten the door open all the way, I set my binders inside, and grabbed a few more, beginning to put some in my bag. I wasn't exactly in a rush to get my things together. I did have studying to do, which is why I had declined an offer from Lydia today. She had asked if I wanted to go to Eichen House to talk to the author. However, I had to much going on right now to join them. Plus, that place wasn't exactly a place that I, or anyone else for that matter, enjoyed visiting.