Chapter 6

Even though he absolutely hated watching theater, Emmett, with a little insistence from Alice, had taken Jackie to see the Phantom of the Opera.

Looking around at some of the other men, Emmett wished he too could have fallen asleep, but he decided every moment of torture was worth the look of pure hapiness on Jackie's face. Actually when the chandelier flew threw the air, crashing into the stage, even Emmett had to admit that was pretty cool.

Afterwards, Emmett asked if she wanted to grab some dinner, but Jackie decided she'd rather just have a Starbucks, which turned out to be perfect for Emmett. It was hard to make food dissappear, but coffee could be thrown away.

They then talked the rest of the night away, learning as much about each other as possible. Emmett had asked a few questions that he realized Jackie flat out avoided, which he thought was weird. Maybe it was just too soon for her to divulge her personal life, he concluded, but he couldn't shake the feeling she was hiding something.

It was getting late, and Emmett knew he needed to get Jackie back. The whole ride home, they held hands and Emmett stole numerous glances at her as he drove. She was just so beautiful he thought.

As they pulled into the drive way, Emmett rushed to her side to get the door. Bending down a little, he couldn't help himself. He pulled her head to him and crushed his lips to hers. Just as he was about to deepen his kiss, the door to the house flew open and Emmett inwardly growled in frustration.

"It's about time!" Alice yelled as her and Bella ran out of the house. "The girls are in bed," she called as they quickly hoped into Alice's car and drove off.

Emmett tried to slowly walk her to the door, as he dreaded every minute he would have to spend waiting to see her again. Every ounce of his being screamed for him to be with this woman.

"Thank you for everything tonight," Jackie smiled up at him as they stood on her porch.

"You're welcome," he answered starring down into her moss colored eyes. He let his eyes travel to her perfectly kissable lips and down her slender delicate neck, unconsciously licking his lips.

She wondered if he was going to kiss her again. She wondered if she even wanted him to kiss her again. It was dangerous being around Emmett, she thought. She was getting too comfortable.

As Emmett gazed into her beautiful face, he wondered what she was thinking. Did she feel the same way about him as he did about her? He pulled her body towards him and smiled as they seemed to meld perfectly together. Cupping her chin with his hand, he lifted her face towards his. Their lips met, and a burning passion overtook him.

Emmett suddenly locked on to her pulse rapidly beating in her neck. He could feel his eyes instantly go dark with hunger and he knew he was in trouble.

As Emmett released her, Jackie pulled away gasping for air and a sudden gust of wind blew in her face. Looking up, Emmett was gone and already in his jeep pulling out the driveway.

Bewildered, Jackie closed and locked the door behind her before heading up to bed. As she laid in bed, she wondered why, for the second time since they'd met, had Emmett disappeared on her.

***
The next day, Jackie was sitting at her desk, still wondering if she had done something wrong when the phone rang.

"Hello, Nurse Winters?" The person on the other line asked.

"Yes, this is she," Jackie replied.

"Hi, my name is Sue Clearwater. I live on the LaPush Indian Reservation."

She then proceeded to tell Jackie that since the measels outbreak, the tribe decided it would be best if they vaccinate the children and elderly and she was wondering if Jackie would be available to come help after school.

Of course Jackie had agreed to help and as soon as school was out, she picked up the girls and they headed out to the reservation.

Sue greeted them and introduced Jackie and the girls to a few of the families. Immediately they seemed to become fast friends.

Off in the distance, unbeknownst to Jackie or her girls, a pack of large wolves hid in the tree line.

"I smell them," said Paul's wolf. "Sam, one of them is on our lands!" he hollared.

"I smell them too!" Confirmed Jared. "It's the cold ones," he said. "They're here!"

"Be quite," came Sam's command. "It's not the cold one's," he snarled. "They're human, and we do not hurt humans."

After a few hours, Jackie and Sue had successfully administered the first dose of MMR to those most susceptible. Seeing as how it was nearly seven o'clock, Sue insisted they stay for dinner. As they all sat down to eat, Sue introduced Jackie to one of the members of the tribal council. Billy Black enthralled the entire table with stories about the ancestor Quileute's. When the girls began to yawn, Jackie realized it was very late and quickly gathered the girls to get ready to leave. Sue and Billy thanked her for coming to the reservation.

"Oh, it's no problem," Jackie replied. "But why didn't you just get them done at the hospital?" she inquired. "I'm sure Carlisle would have been more than helpful," she added.

Billy and Sue exchanged a look.

"The reputation of the Cullen's, around here, is not an honorable one," Billy explained.

There was an awkward silence as Jackie wondered what they would think if they knew that just last night she had been locking lips with one of them. She decided to quickly change the subject and thanked them for dinner.

"I'll be back sometime in May to help administer the last dose," she promised as her and the girls climbed in to the truck.

As she drove home, Jackie wondered what the Cullen's could have done to be so disliked by an entire tribe. From what she could tell, they seemed to be nice people. A smile crossed her face, very nice people, she thought to herself in regards to Emmett.

Thinking of Emmett, wasn't that his jeep parked in the street, she wondered pulling into the drive. A knot formed in her stomach as a visibly upset Emmett paced on her porch. This could not be good.