Chapter 20 - Despairingly Together... Forever?

...

Several hours later, my eyes cracked open. My condition previously was terrible, so how was I... alive? Curious about the situation, and concerned for Add's health, I sat up and stretched my arms. They felt stiff, sore, and uncomfortable. I glanced around, and down at my clothes. My attire was tattered, ripped, and contaminated in quite a few places. Very unfortunate, since this was my favourite outfit. As for my surroundings, there was nothing. Glave was nowhere to be seen.

"Finally awake?" a voice chuckled. Luto.

"What did you... what did you do to Add?!" I shouted in anger.

The old man responded grimly. "Him? You did not win the competition, therefore he is to be culled, of course."

"NO!" I yelled louder, unwilling to accept the truth.

"My, my. Such a rowdy little girl you are. Surely, you are nothing like the innocent Sakra Devanam." he sneered. "If it makes you feel any better, something shall happen to her sooner or later, despite Glave's victory."

"Wh-What?! He won fair and square! Do NOT harm the other me!" I scowled.

"Hmm. We'll see. No, I'll see. You won't be here long enough to witness what happens next. Anyway, here's a gift, from me to you."

Promptly, the floating sphere containing Add appeared in front of me. Pop! The bubble broke, and the unnerving aura from the container vanished. I instantly stood to catch him in my arms bridal style, but I fell onto my knees afterwards.

I gently set him down on the floor, assiduously placing two fingers on his neck to check for a pulse and heartbeat. The result? Void.

Luto began his elucidation. "He is dead. D-E-A-D. However, I have preserved his body using my secret techniques. Keep his remains if you'd like, they'll never decay. Those are all the presents I will share with you now, my kindness is extremely limited. I am the ultimate 'evil genius', after all: the Retired Administrator of Time and Space!" he laughed. "Return to Hell, where you belong. You are no longer needed here on Earth, and you'll serve no purpose residing in the area, I'll tell you that. Be grateful for all this, and leave. I bid you farewell!"

I had no choice but to follow his command. He was right about my existence here being unneeded. Carrying Add in my arms once again, I departed for the Underworld. I wept and sniveled on the way back home, holding whom I loved close to me.

...

When I arrived at the gate of my castle in Hell, the same maid from when I left for the human world greeted me with surprise and worry, swarming me with inquiries.

"Ar--, I mean, Mistress! What has happened to you?! I must tend to your clothes and fix them! Who is that man? You must tell me the details of your trip, if you feel comfortable with sharing. I will call the butlers and chefs to prepare your meal. You must be starving! Come inside! I'd just finished my daily chores outside." she babbled.

By now, my tears have dried. It would've been a large problem if she figured out I was sobbing. "I'm fine. Take the rest of the day off, and relax. I do not need food, I do not need anything. I'll isolate myself in my room once again, and I'll call one of the other servants when needed. Thank you for your concern. And before you ask, I will not be sharing the story."

She nodded and bowed, then scurried off.

I rushed to my bedroom as stealthily as I could, given the fact that I was handicapped. (Although Add was fairly lightweight, so it wasn't too difficult.) The servants within the stronghold greeted as I passed by, but they were simply ignored. It was shameful that I didn't express my manners, however, my mood was horrible.

...

Carefully, I laid Add on my bed, then fell on my knees once more to lament and wail. Hours and hours of crying, unable to hold it in any longer. Fortunately, I was undisturbed.

Deep inside, I was broken because of the events that had transpired. Despite the maid from earlier being a mere, dark figure devoid of realistic body parts, in comparison, I was the one that was emptier inside. She was, and still is, a lovely, kindhearted, and upbeat servant.

In this twisted, unfathomable, uncanny world, the unexpected is bound to occur. I was such a pathetic idiot, thinking I could save Add. Everything in my mind... now constantly filled with nothing but despair.

...

---[CHAPTER 20 - DESPAIRINGLY TOGETHER... FOREVER? : END]---