Broken Mug

"Hi Jean. Hi, Maddelyn!" You greet the little girl as she walks into the hallway, taking her tiny shoes off of her feet. Jean follows behind, his hand behind her back.

"How was school? Did you have fun?" You bend down to her level. She looks up at your face, studying your eyes.

"You have very long eyelashes." She tells you plainly.

This is just possibly the nicest thing she has ever said to you.

"Aw, you think so?" You say, laughing lightly.

The little girl doesn't respond, but runs past you, slightly bumping into your shoulder so that you stumble to your side. Fortunately, Jean rushes to your side to support you.

"Maddelyn! Watch it!" He sighs.
"Sorry, babe. She didn't mean it. Don't take it personally." He tells you, helping you up.

"It's fine. I know she didn't mean it." You reply, almost in a whisper.

"Want a cup of coffee?" You offer, changing the subject.

"Yeah, that'd be great. No, I'll make us both a cup, you go sit down, (Y/N.)"
--------------------------------------------------
You bring the steaming coffee up to your lips and breathe out in pleasure. Nothing could beat Jean's coffee, you think.

"(Y/N)?" Jean asks.

"What is it?"

"Have you... Have you spoke to your father recently?"

"My dad?"

"Yeah, your dad." He says, sipping the hot drink in his hands whilst looking at you.

You had never had a good relationship with your dad.
He left your mother and yourself at a very young age for another woman.
Despite this, he would visit you frequently as a teenager. Last time you saw him was on New Years Eve 2 years ago.

"No, I haven't." You reply blunty.

"You should, (Y/N)." Jean tells you, his eyes serious.
Putting down your mug, you look at him.

"Why should I?" You say, your voice stern.

"Because he's your goddamn father, that's why."

"I haven't seen that man in 2 years. And I don't want to." You say through gritted teeth.

Jean slams down his mug and nearly shatters it causing you to gasp in shock.

"Jean..." You say, worriedly.