Chapter Sixteen - Are You Ready To Party?

It was really cold as I stepped out of the car, the sky now black, starry and cloudless. I felt a bit nervous, since I didn’t really know anyone except for Ryan, Kyle, James and Scott. Well, this was also a time to meet new friends, since Ryan was finally letting me see them. I had a nasty feeling that this party wasn’t going to be like any party I’ve been to before. They were gangsters, after all. They weren’t going to act the same way my friends did at parties, were they? Or was I just being stereotypical? Ryan noticed I was shivering and wrapped his jacket around me.

‘Maybe I should have bought you a coat, too,’ he laughed, walking us up to the front door of Scott’s house. I could even hear the music from outside. Was it really that loud? Maybe I should have brought earplugs. Yeah, in front of a big group of gangsters. Real smart.

‘Ryan?’ I whispered.

‘Yeah?’ he responded, just as quietly.

‘You know the way you said that you don’t want me involved in any gang stuff? Isn’t this party not full of people from your gang? Don’t you think it might be … dangerous, or risky?’

Ryan frowned for a moment, thinking, and then ran a hand through his shaggy hair. ‘I really hate to say this, but you’re already involved enough as it is. If I thought it would make a difference, I wouldn’t bring you here. I’m sorry, Laura.’

I was involved. Was I in danger? Gangs were dangerous, as far as I knew, which was the reason why they were illegal. I really needed to start reading books about gangs. Even if I was in danger, I had Ryan to protect me. he promised himself. ‘Don’t be sorry. This is all Trav’s fault. Don’t feel guilty because you’re not the jerk.’

He laughed. ‘I am a jerk.’

‘Well, not to me. Oh, will there be any girls here?’ I asked, as we waited for someone to open the front door. They were taking forever! I didn’t really know how anyone would be able to hear the front door with the volume of ‘Bass Down Low’ pumping inside. I loved that song, so I eventually started tapping my foot in line with the beat. If you wanna get with me, there’s some things you gotta know. I like my beats fast and my bass down low. Oh, the song was just too good! I was going to start singing along to it if they didn’t answer the door soon.

Ryan raised his eyebrows. ‘Are you trying to tell me something?’

‘No!’ I laughed. ‘I just don’t really want to be the only girl in a big bunch of lads.’

‘Don’t worry, Laura. There’ll be a good few girls. You might not like them, though.’

‘Why not?’

‘Sluts.’

My mouth dropped open. ‘Like real prostitutes? Ew, Ryan! I don’t want to go in there!’

He laughed. ‘No, no. They just dress like sluts. You know, belts for skirts … bras for tops. They try to be attractive. You, on the other hand, don’t need to try. You’re gorgeous.’

‘I’m not sure I want to go inside now,’ I said nervously, blushing. ‘Why don’t we have our own party out here? That sounds good. We can even hear the music from in there. You can just run in for a second, grab some food and drink, and then come out to dance with me. We’ll show them how to party properly.’

Ryan chuckled. ‘You wanted to meet my friends, so you’re going to meet my friends. This’ll also be a good way for you to get to know what I was like before I met you.’

‘Will I be able to get out when I want to?’

‘No, we’re going to tie you to a chair,’ Ryan said sarcastically. ‘You’ll be trapped in here forever in the darkness, listening to Bass Down Low. That’s a good song.’