Chapter Twenty-One - The Last Dandelion

At last winter entered with an unexpected ferocity. Most of the palace kept to their individual sections. Heaters were heaped with wood to warm the chambers. The women brought out their rabbit and ermine fur hand mufflers and gloves.

One dandelion, a late bloomer, stood resolute under one of the peony trees.

But even then, it was no match for the furious winds.

The fluffy seed ball broke apart and dispersed like tiny snow umbrellas.

Perhaps it would appear again, in bloom, in the next spring.

~*~

The chamber was frigid and the maids' breath plumed in white clouds. Alone and brooding, the lady sat on her rosewood chair. She had foregone wearing her hand mufflers, her fingers clenched so tightly the nails left red curves in the flesh. The iron heater, filigreed with dragons and phoenixes, would suffice for now. She would suffer the martyrdom in her own fashion.

And she would have her revenge.

She savoured the words in her mouth, rolling them on her tongue.

It would be delicious.

Chicken Tonic Soup

Ingredients

Two chicken thighs/drumsticks

A table-spoonful of Chinese wolfberries/goji

Eight red dates

(Salt to taste)

Instructions

1. Fill pot with water and place the chicken pieces in. Bring to boil. Remember to remove the scum from the surface of the broth.

2. Add in the red dates and Chinese wolf berries. Let it boil and then simmer for about an hour. Add salt for taste.

3. You might like to let the soup sit for a while for the flavours to emerge.

4. Serve hot with or without rice. It is tasty enough!