Chapter 6: Forever Starts Today

Big shout out to Lilith_Vandom for the beautiful banner! Thanks love, it's amazing :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sophia smiled when she felt Brody's hand take ahold of hers. "So clingy," she teased, intertwining their fingers.

"Okay fine," he playfully huffed. "Then I want my hand back."

Sophia laughed. "No way,"

"So clingy," Brody retorted playfully using Sophia's exact words. Pulling her into his side, he placed a kiss on top of her head as they walked into his parents' house.

"Oh there's my baby!" Theresa exclaimed, embracing her son before pulling Sophia into a tight embrace.

"Hey momma," he kissed his mom's cheek before placing his arm around Sophia's waist yet again.

"Sophia, you look beautiful as always. How have you two been?"

Sophia and Brody followed Theresa through the house and outback toward the deck and pool area. It was a beautiful summer night out: it wasn't too hot, it wasn't too cold, and there was a nice cool breeze.

"Hey bud," Brody's father, Michael, greeted his son with a firm handshake and clap on the shoulder, pulling him toward the grill leaving Sophia with her mom and Theresa.

"Hey pumpkin," Sophia's mom kissed her on the cheek as she settled into one of the patio chairs. "How's school going? How's work? It's been so long since I've seen you!"

Sophia smiled. "School's going well, I'm almost done I just have less than a year left; work's...work; and you saw me a week ago when you came down to Malibu for a long weekend with dad."

"My god, how the time flies." She gushed. "You just turned twenty-five a few months ago and now you're almost graduated medical school soon."

"Yeah, I know. It's crazy t –"

"So when can Theresa and I expect our first grandbaby?"

Sophia's eyes grew wide as her mother and Theresa both looked at her expectantly. "Brody and I aren't even married and I haven't even graduated medical school yet. And then there's the fact that Brody's leaving for however long..."

"Oh sweetie," Christina placed her hand on her daughter's hand. "You and Brody have practically been together since high school."

"Practically being married isn't the same as actually being married." She corrected her mother. "Besides, after medical school I have my residency for god knows how long. If I were to get pregnant I pretty much wouldn't gone through nearly eight years of schooling for nothing."

"Oh but you've always been good at multitasking!" her mother piped happily.

"Balancing being a mother with trying to become a doctor isn't 'multitasking' I would actually consider it overkill." Sophia looked at both women standing in front of her. "I love you both very much, but getting pregnant right now isn't what Brody and I are looking for."

"So you've talked about having kids?" Theresa's eyes lit up.

Truth be told, Sophia and Brody haven't really talked about the topic of kids. But to be honest, they were both always so careful when it came to the intimate part of their relationship that it seemed like kids weren't in the cards for them at the moment.

"Not in so many words, no, but I'm sure when things aren't so hectic the topic will come up."

Sophia glanced over at Brody who stood with a beer in his hands at the grill with their fathers. Surely enough he looked over at her, giving her a smile which made the butterflies in her stomach flutter. She smiled back at him before his attention was directed back toward his father. She laughed, turning her attention back to their mothers who were now off in their own little world having their own conversation. Looking at Brody with both their fathers standing around the grill and sitting with both their mothers, it was like they were already a family. The thought brought a smile to her face, but the feeling was bittersweet knowing that they would have to wait a while before they could make it official. Looking back at Brody, she smiled when she saw him mouth the words I love you to her.

I love you too, she mouthed back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Did you have a good time catching up with our mothers?" Brody asked earning an exasperated look from Sophia.

"I love our moms, don't get me wrong." She sighed. "They can just be a tad bit overwhelming."

"Do I even want to know?" he teased, wrapping Sophia up in his arms because she was shivering.

"Well it does involve you," she said as she gazed out over the calm, serene surface of the ocean.

"Now you got my attention." He chuckled as he leaned down to place a soft kiss to the spot just behind her right ear. "Tell me."

She laughed lightly. "Long story short, our mothers want to know when they can expect their first grandchild."

"And what did you tell them?" he hugged her tighter to his body.

"I told them that kids aren't in the picture for us right now."

"Not right now, but –"

"Eventually when I'm finally done school and after we're..." her voice trailed off as she started to second guess herself. She didn't want Brody to feel like he had to make a move now. It wasn't like she was going anywhere.

"After we're married?" Brody asked softly.

She silently nodded. She and Brody stood on the beach in silence before his grip on her loosened and his arms left her waist. She immediately regretted bringing up the subject because although they had dated in high school they had only been back together for three months.

"Brody –" she panicked, but quickly stopped as soon as she saw him. "W-what are you doing?" Sophia stuttered.

"Sophia," Brody gazed up into Sophia's eyes lovingly. "I know this is sort of sudden." He chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck as he remained kneeling in front of his girlfriend. "And I know we only recently have gotten back together, but seven years ago I made the mistake of letting you go..." he stopped to take a breath. "And I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I ever made that mistake again. I can see forever with you. I can see us having kids and growing old together." He slowly reached into the pocket of his shorts, retrieving a navy blue velvet box. "Forever starts today, Sophs." Brody slowly reaches up to hold one of Sophia's trembling hands. "Will you marry me?"

Tears streamed down Sophia's cheeks as she looked down at the curly, copper-haired man who was kneeling at her feet. As she gazed deeply into his eyes, she could see her happily ever after with him. She pictured living in a neighborhood in a house with a big back yard and a white picket fence. She could see their children: all four of them. She could see forever with the boy she fell in love with in high school and the man who made her fall in love with him all over again.

"Yes," she nodded frantically. "Yes, I'll marry you, Brody."

Brody gingerly slipped the ring on her finger before rising to his knees. His hands gently cupped her face, his thumbs wiping away her tears before leaning down to kiss her lips.

"God I love you so much." He whispered, pressing his forehead to hers as they stood in each other's arms.

"Brody Emerson Stone, words can't even begin to explain how much I love you." She whispers before tilting her head up and capturing his lips in a lingering, passionate kiss.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I'm trying to make the chapters longer (at least 1,000 words per chapter) which has been working out rather well...surprisingly, haha! Please don't be shy and leave me some feedback and vote. After all, this story is entered in the #Wattys2015!! I'll start to work on the next chapter, but don't expect the update for a week. If anything changes, I'll be posting updates to the wall on my profile.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! ❤ - Hayley ReneePUoios B