Another Dance to Remeber

I quickly walked down the first flight of stairs and stopped once I got to the split level. Tom and Spencer were in the living room along with the Avengers and Jessa. The Avengers have become a big part of my life and they're basically my family. Scarlett and Jessa were talking like civilized human beings, where as Tom and the rest of the guys were giving Spencer the death stare.
Zeus happened to see me standing there and barked. Everyone looked up. Suddenly I felt very anxious and nervous. Spencer turned around in his chair.
"Hi." I gave a small wave and smiled.
I walked down the rest of the stairs and into the living room. Spencer was about to walk up to me until Tom sort of pushed him out of the way. He walked towards me and grabbed my shoulders.
"You look beautiful."
"Thanks Tom."
His smile sort of faded but then returned. I know why Tom was sad. It's been more than a year since Tom adopted me and I still just called him Tom or English. Sarah and Emma had told me when we went to London for Christmas that Tom had always wanted kids. Even when he was a kid himself. So I think not calling him dad even though he technically is, is kind of getting to him. It's not that I don't want to, it's just I don't feel like the time is right yet.
"Hey Nic." Spencer had managed to push past Tom. He held out a flower towards me. It was a lily. "I know that you're not a big fan of roses. So I figured a lily would be good since it was also the name of one of your sisters."
Lily had gotten adopted a couple months ago. It was probably one of the saddest days since Titan left. Saying goodbye to her was hard, because after finding out that my mom had a baby girl I felt like it was my duty to protect Lily like I would my little sister.
"Thanks."
We all stood there in an awkward silence.
"So Mr. Barton, what are your intentions with Ms. Nicole here tonight." Chris E. asked.
I mentally face palmed already knowing that there would be a full interrogation before we could leave. And with six body builders in the house, we might not even be able to go to the dance.
"Not much sir. We're going to meet some friends at the dance, then eat and have fun. And then if Loki or Ultron decides not to take over the world again I'll have her home by 9."
Good job Spencer.
"8:30" Tom blurted out.
"8:45" I argued.
"No later." Tom shot back.
"Alright guys, you're both pretty." Jessa hugged Tom from the side. "Now let's get some pictures."
I sighed in surrender while Jessa started taking some pictures. Turns out Jessa was also a photography major but only kept it as a hobby, so the pictures looked like they were professional. Which I guess they technically were.
50,000 pictures later, Spencer and I finally arrived at the dance. We met everyone outside then headed inside to the gym. The theme was around the world, so there were all sorts of different foods and flags from different countries were hanging up everywhere.
"Let's go get some food." Eric suggested.
We walked over to one of the many tables of exotic food. The flag on the front was from Ireland.
"What is that?" Tyler, Sam's date, asked in disgust. He was pointing at a lumpy brown thing that looked like it had been thrown up, eaten, then thrown up again.
"Haggis and cider." The woman behind the table said.
I grabbed a small portion along with Spencer then headed over to some other tables and got food. By the time we were done I had food from China, Italy, Ireland, and Mexico on my plate. We took a seat at a table decorated for Brazil.
"I can't believe you're going to eat that." Sam said.
I cut a small piece of it and put it in my mouth without hesitation. It was a little chewy and some it got stuck in my teeth, but for the most part it wasn't bad. There was a gagging sound beside me and I looked over just in time to see Spencer spitting out the haggis. He grabbed his cider and started chugging until it was all gone.
"Ugh! How did you eat that! It's disgusting!"
I just laughed and said, "I've got the Irish in me blood." In an Irish accent.
"Ha ha ha. Very funny."
"No seriously. My mom was Irish, like really full pure blood Irish."
"Wait if you're Irish then where'd they get Nicole from?"
"My real name's actually-"
Everyone looked at me hoping I would continue. But I didn't. No one, not even Titan who I tell everything to, knows my full name, let alone my real first name.
"Come on tell us!" Eric said.
I sighed and looked down. "My real name is Nicollet Rowena Smith."
I waited for them to laugh, my name is so weird. It's not that I hate my first name, it just reminds me of my mom so I don't like it much. Then my middle name was my grandmothers name, plus it's also the name of Crowley's mother which itself gives it a bad reputation, not to mention that I could pass as Crowley's daughter. Then my last name is weird because it's simple compared to the rest of my name, so it's almost like saying, Mississippi Mississippi Maine.
No one said anything, then a slow song came on. It was Photograph by Ed Sharon.
"Do you wanna dance?" Spencer held out his hand as he go up from the table.
"Sure." I took his hand and we walked onto the gym floor.
I put my arms around his neck while his hands rested on my waist. We swayed back and forth and he would spin me around sometimes.
"You haves beautiful name but he way." He said out of nowhere.
"Thanks. My mother picked it out."
We danced a little bit more until I finally decided to bring up something that had been wanting to ask for the past year.
"Hey, remember when I ran into you in a rush to get to the wrong audition?"
"How could I forget. That was the first time I saw your other eye." He was referring to how I pushed my hair behind my ear when I was nervous.
"Hahaha ya... Well on that day you also said something to me. You asked if I was auditioning for Belle, when I easily could have been auditioning for someone else. Then when I asked how you knew you just said no reason. But I could tell that you wanted to say something else, what was it?"
I stood there staring at him. He finally took deep breath and looked me in the eye.
"What I wanted to say was, "Honestly it's no surprise since you're a Beauty yourself."" I was taken aback for a second. "Nicole. I've had a crush on you since first grade, I just never had the guts to say anything. I mean, here you are, straight A student, prodigy violinist and artist, and an all around amazing girl to top it off. Then there's me, I can't cook for my life, my grades are b's and c's, and the only thing I'm good at is something that my parents don't even support me in. So I guess I just thought, how could a girl like you ever take notice in a boy like me." Spencer looked down.
"I've had a crush on you ever since the third grade when I first saw you jump the fence. I thought 'someday that awesome boy is going to see me, someday when he's not off winning sports.' Then by Sixth grade I gave up on that, thinking that you were never going to look my way. But I still had a crush on you."
Spencer looked back up at me and I smiled. He smiled back. Then slowly but surely we both started leaning in. And I don't know how it happened but it did. We kissed.
It. Was. Amazing.
"I love you Nicole Smith."
"Right back at ya Spencer Barton."
He leaned in again and kissed me again.