Let's Blow the Popsicle Stand: Sarah POV

The room was dark and sleek, like an empty hipster dance club. Every piece of furniture was black and modern and there wasn't a shred of light anywhere. The dark shadowy mass who had told me to sit was taking up an entire sofa so I sat across from him on my own. The black leather was freezing but I was grateful; I was sweating like crazy. "Who are you?" I asked. I was pleased that my voice was calm and cool.

"Why, don't you know? I'm sure you do. It must be in your memory, the myths about me." I tried to discern his face but it was like the shadows wrapped around him. I noticed that he was amazingly wide, like he was three people instead of one. Then it hit me. Great, I thought, just great. I let out a resigned sigh.

"You're Geryon, aren't you?" I could see him now. This freak of nature had a normalish head, if an Italian 1950's movie villain was normal but then there was the matter of his middle parts. He had three chests, all of them connected at the armpit and tapered off into a normal torso. That's why y he had been such an oddly shaped blob. But as weird as his appearance was, his clothes confused me more. All the stories Percy had told me about him involved him in Levi's and cowboy boots. He was dressed in three different colored silk shirts, dress pants, and a giant dress jacket that fit his triple shoulders. I noticed a giant gold watch adorning his wrist. Instead of some Texas ranch dude he was a dance club manager. He was also wearing some ridiculous giant sunglasses, like it wasn't sufficiently dark in that room. He pushed them down his nose to grin at me.

"Righto, Ms. Dae." I noticed that he seemed to have picked up a British accent, which only made me hate how he sneered my name that much more. I chose to ignore it.

"But the last time your ugly face graced this Earth you were a rancher," I told him. "Plus, Percy informed that you'd be in Tartarus for the next hundred years. What are you doing?" Geryon rested his arms on the back of the couch comfortably.

"I came across a better career choice." I raised my eyebrow skeptically. Last time he had been breeding magical creatures, working with the Titans, and doing plenty of other horrible stuff. "Now I run a more—impressive—breeding business. I breed monsters, like myself. All these creatures here were raised under my supervision. I even have a Sphinx program, can you believe it? Good money in that, as you can see." Sphinx. He had let that slip on purpose I realized. He was gloating. Then my caught up with him.

"You have the amulet," I deadpanned.

"Right again!" He gave a light chuckle and pulled from the inside pocket of his jacket Sadie Stone's amulet. It lit the room with a weak golden light until Geryon slipped it back. I clenched my fists to keep myself from leaping on him and taking the amulet by force. I needed to at least try to get some information out of him. So I changed the subject.

"Why are you breeding monsters?" I said conversationally, like I was interested in his business transactions.

"My Master is in need of them." Geryon said narrowing his eyes at me.

"Who is your 'Master'?" I said leaning forwards. I figured this fruit loop couldn't be the boss of something this big. If this was the guy who had masterminded the kidnapping, I would eat my hand.

"I'm afraid you'll have to find a different question." It seemed he figured that I was digging around.

"Why is your Master in need of them?" I shot back.

"Think, Dae, I know you are capable of at least that," he snapped. I glared at him. His dark eyes twinkled back at me maliciously. Why would someone breed monsters? Why would you need so many? I was tiptoeing around an idea in my head but I didn't want to think about it. If that really was what was going on... Geryon spoke softly, "I know you know." I felt all the air leave my lungs as I realized my guess was right.