Her father, the king, scoffed at this and then stared at his daughter in confusion.

            “Veronica, What are you doing out here? Wearing this? Didn’t your mother and I buy you much finer things?” Her father grabbed her sleeve that had a hole in the seam near the underarm and Veronica pulled away. “You’ve worn this for ages, it needs to be washed.” He sniffs in a couple of times then scrunches up his nose.

            “I want to wear it. It’s all that keeps me happy.” She wraps her arms around her waist holding onto the fabric of the night gown and looking at the floor.

            “Very well then, move along I have business to take care of.” The king sits down and Veronica walks off into the kitchen where Freddy is now helping the cooks prepare desert for the guests.

            “She seems awfully sad though, and the way she dreams, it’s as if…” Freddy stops talking as she notices Veronica walk in. “Hello my lady.” She quickly does a curtsey and walks over to her with a sample of today’s lunch choices.

            “I’m not very hungry today Freddy” Veronica says waving away the food and sitting on a clear countertop watching the cooks make the meals for the guests as she quietly nibbles on the one roll she grabbed.

            “But miss you haven’t ate a whole meal in over a week.” Freddy said with concern in her eyes.

            “I’m sure there are plenty of people in the kingdom who can benefit from me not eating this food. Give it to a peasant… better yet… Let me give it to one” She said hoping off the countertop and grabbing a basket from the cupboard.

            “As you wish” Freddy said and helped the princess pack a basket full of the food that was just offered to her.

            Veronica put on an old brown cloak holding the basket in her hand and slipped out the back door and into the meadows searching for a small village in the kingdom she knew all too well.

            “Well look what we’ve got here mates?” A middle aged man appeared from the back of one of the wooden horse stables in the village as veronica was soon to arrive at her destination.

Soon two more men appeared and stared her down.

“What’s in the basket love?”

“It’s nothing…” She said her voice trembling as she looked around for a way to escape.

“Oh well I think quite to the contraire. Don’t you men?” there was a uproar of grunting in agreement with him as he walked forward to her and veronica stood back tripping on her night gown and falling into the dirt.

The man quickly grabbed the basket and took a look at the food.