Chapter Eleven

"Cyler, maybe you should sit down and think this through." Galgio offered outstretching his hand, I pushed it away whatever it was I could handle... standing up. That and my limbs felt so paralyzed that I didn't want to move, I didn't think I could without fracturing my legs.

"Cy, come on don't be a bravo." Serphentina told me, trying to coxes me into sitting down on one of the large lazy boys; I shook my head again. The room spun as an icy feeling took over my forearm, I looked at my left arm and saw Serphentina had grasp my arm; her long dark plum nails flickering with a power my body tried to reject.

"No, I don't- a wave of nausea took over and I tried to shake her off of me, the sickness disappeared when she took her snake-like grip off of me. My body relaxed.

"Serphen, lets just... let him-

"No, stop!" I clutched my head, it was pounding like a basketball hitting the asphalt repetitively. I fell to my knees, my head thumped, thumped, thumped... there was an electric current passing from my molecules, hitting every nerve and causing a seizure to accrue in every fiber of my body. What. Was. Happening?!

"Galgio what is happening to him?" Serphen asked grabbing me up and laying me on the love-seat, it was such a deep red it almost looked black. My body reacted when she touched me, and it wasn't a good reaction. It was like dry ice being thrown in a volcano, combusting particle by particle.

"Just don't touch him, it's his blood." I wanted to ask what my blood was doing but my mouth was twisted in agony.

"What do you mean?" Serphen asked again, I noticed Lestat was impossibly quiet. How was it that he remained so calm while his cold-blooded sister was about to cry for me?

"His kind was created to kill us, evolved from the blood of hate. He used his gift to help our kind; this is the effect of him doing that!" Galgio bellowed, first time I saw him angry. He ran out of the room, more like a whisper in the wind; I barely caught the movement as he left.

"It'll be o-kay, Galgio will figure something out. He will, he has to!" She knelt down down to the couch, trying to not touch me but still console me. Her face was so close to mine I could smell the honey and vanilla wafting off of her skin. This close to her, she seemed very angelic-like, still nothing compared to my Anney.

Thinking of Anney helped the searing pain, thinking of her gold hair helped to numb my firey body. I thought of her, not sick, but back to normal and not a sick particle in her fragile body. I thought of all the memories and times we shared and having it multiplied by a hundred, us both living for forver.

Galgio was back, an a needle was plunged into my neck, another in my forearm and another in my leg; abdomen and wrist. The fire pain was now replaced by an icy sensation that made my arch my back and grit my teeth. Then, it was over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 hours later

My finger twitched, that was the only indication that I was still alive. Other than that I didn't know if the light flooding my eyes was my personal invitation to heaven or the draining watt bulbs hanging high in the chandelier. Why did I think that was heaven? Why would it be so fancy, and for me?

The couch impression in my cheek must've made me look silly because that's the expression X was wearing when I sat upright. His goofy, barely-there stare was places right on my left cheek.

"Uh-

"Dude you're alive! That's awesome man!" He held up a hand, perfectly projected for a perfect high-five. I ignored him, pushed him to the side and got up. The room spun but I was getting used to the feeling.

"Where ya going?" X asked, I still ignored him and walked through the big arched doors; I was so done with this.

Once outside I tried to find the car, the sun cracked from the horizon, barely there but gave off enough life I could see the cemetery. The old, beat-up car sat parked half-way next to a headstone and the overgrown brush.

I couldn't wait to get inside the car and away from this wreck-of-a-place. Turning back only to see if X was coming I had a wave of disgust flood me, those things were horrific. 

But I did their help... to save Anney....

"Cyler! Wait!" I turned around again, almost slamming into X; Rage ran towards us from around the side of the house, what was she doing over there?In the light I saw how big the house actually was, it was giant! The front porch went all the way to the back, and on the other side you could see the tops of several barns (all of which looked about to fall over) still the place was huge.

"Why doesn't anyone understand that I want to leave this hell hole?!" I screamed feeling my chest ripple, I needed to get back to the hospital where Anney was.

"Crabby much? I just spent hours lurking around the creepy cemetery waiting till those... things went to sleep! Just to make sure you weren't dead!" Rage yelled, she punched my chest like it was the last thing she wanted to do. I looked over at X, who was just looking between me and Rage.

"I'm sorry, can you drop me off at the hospital? I need to see Anney." I slid in the backseat, not waiting for an answer.

Seconds later X and Rage slipped into the car. Tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife, scratch that, you didn't a knife to cut it. I looked back at the house one more time, a shiver haunted me to the core as I saw Serphen at the top window. I could barely make her out behind the stained glass, but I knew it was her.

Rage pulled up to the hospital parking lot and turned off the car. I didn't really want to talk to her or X, thankfully she had dropped X off at a bus stop that would take him to his house. We both knew he wouldn't go home. 

Now in the passenger seat I reached for the door handle, "Wait." Rage looked desperate, an emotion I never thought I'd see on her pale face. "Can we talk?" I put my hands in my lap. It was still really early, probably barely even six in the morning, Anney wouldn't be up.

"Sure, what about?" I knew my words were harsh and sharp, but I hadn't gotten much sleep lately and not seeing Anney was starting to wain on me. She blew out her bangs and looked straight to my soul with her intense eyes.

"You know what it's about: Them." My eyes widened and I looked away. What would I tell her? That I didn't make any progress? I saved one of them, then my blood reacted badly. Bad enough that they had to inject me with several needles. Yeah, I'm sure that's what she wanted to hear.

"Nothing happened. I saved oh-what's-his-name and they took me in the back to thank me. Then, one of them, the girl, Serp-something fed off a human and I fainted: guess I can't stand the look of blood." It was a spur-of-the-moment lie, but it seemed to work.

"Oh." Or maybe it didn't work. I could see the gears in Rage's head working. Processing everything I had just told her. I knew she was smart, she'd probably figure everything out, even the parts I didn't know.

"Yeah, anyways I really should-

"Why are you lying? What really happened?" I sighed, I really didn't want to do this. 

"I'm not lying-

"Yes you are! You think I don't know when someone is lying to me because I do." Anger was piling up in my chest. Why was I so angry lately?

"Uh huh yeah that's why you hang out with X!" I said it before my brain could tell me to shut up. Her face fell and a dark expression covered her goth makeup.

"Like you're perfect, your girlfriend is dying in a hospital and you decide to go to a party! Yeah, you're one to talk!" She spat out, then her face turned red as she tried to take her words back.

A million things piled in my head to tell her, many of them vulgar curse words. "She's not dying." I didn't yell it, I spoke it, I felt it, it hit me hard. I got out of the car and swore to myself that I'd never leave Anney's side again. The Vampires couldn't help me, I'd have to help Anney on my own.