The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 35

Start from the beginning

Us gingers are special.

Get real, Radleigh, Zane snorted, coming into the living room.

“He’s just jealous, eh Rosie?” I said, rocking her slightly. She paused for a moment, staring up at me before flashing me this huge grin, her gums shining. Eurgh, toothless wonders…

At least this one didn’t wake up in the middle of the night and scream the house down like Max did. She was relatively quiet most of the time. And when she did cry, it didn’t completely cut through you.

So, aye, a vast improvement.

“Thought you hated kids, Radders,” Zane remarked, leaning back on the couch. I scowled, ignoring him in favour of my niece. I was on babysitting duty, so that Cal and Annie could get some sleep, which I had moaned about to begin with, but I was fast becoming quite enamoured with the idea.

Ade sidled into the room, sitting down next to Zane and kissing the top of his head. I rolled my eyes at the pair of them and jiggled Rosie slightly, keeping my eyes on her face. The thing I couldn’t get over, was the fact that my sister had named her after a prickly flower. How cruel was that?

“Maybe she thinks wee Rosie’ll be like her,” Zane offered, “pretty but moody as fuck.” I laughed. Jesus, how could anyone think something this small could ever be grumpy? There was no way in hell Rosie Greene would grow up like her mum. Not that that would be a bad thing, of course, but Rosie wouldn’t have to go through half the things that Annie did.

I hoped not, anyway. I wasn’t sure how the poor kid would cope.

“Hey, Radleigh?” Ade said, tilting his head to the side. “You look good with a kid.”

What. The. Fuck?

Get it away from me! Get it the buggery away from me! I literally shoved Rosie at Ade, bolting out the door.

“Go see Auntie Zane and Uncle Ade!” I called over my shoulder. Any noises of protest from Zane about his honorary Auntie status were lost when, all of a sudden, a strange scent hit my nose. It was sweet, and it made my head spin and my whole body tingle.

What was it?

With each step I took, the smell got stronger until-

I walked right into Jase, where the smell was at its strongest. I gaped at him.

“What the hell are you looking at?” he grumbled, shutting the front door behind him. There was a faint bruise starting to show on his left cheekbone, and there were scratch marks on his neck.

“Five t’ten years of therapy, at least,” I muttered. The smell was still there and it was…radiating off my brother. God, this was unbelievable. Typical, absolutely typical.

I turned and went into the kitchen. My big brother made my head spin, apparently. Anyone else think there was something wrong with that sentence?

Annie:

Cal was sleeping next to me, a lock of his hair rising and falling with every breath that he took. He was completely shattered. He hadn’t slept properly since Rosie had been born, when we had had to break the news to him that Macca had been killed.

I didn’t know how he was keeping together so well; if it had been Radleigh who had died, I would’ve been inconsolable. I didn’t even want to think about Radleigh being killed by Dante. I already felt guilty about Macca being killed because of me.

In all fairness, he was getting to be a bit of a- No, inappropriate; Georgie had lost her mate, no matter how much of a tosser he had turned out to be. No-one deserved that.