A New Beginning

Chapter 7

I grabbed Ezra immediately and pulled him into a hug. I was glad to see a familiar face around here. . . .But the others might not. I couldn't let them find him or they would make him leave then I would be alone again.

I took him by his hand and led him in through the front. At one point we had to duck while a few servants walked by.

This time the walk back to my room seemed longer than usual. When we finally got there Ezra was more than shocked. "Wow! This is where you sleep?! This is so nice!" He turned and stared up at me in all his excitement. "Can I stay here with you?" I was about to answer when I noticed the slight discolouration of his skin around his eye.

"What happened to you?!"

"Um . . . Chloe hit me because I touch her piece of the meat we stole. . ."

"What?!" Chloe had gotten worst since I left. No doubt she was even bitterer as well. "Of course you can stay. I can't send you back there, they'll kill you."

"Yay!" He pulled out of my grip and headed straight for the bed. "Wow!!! It's so soft! And look at all this neat stuff on it!!!" He was referring to the small pillows that were removed before I went to bed. I never saw the point in putting them there only to have to remove them by the end of the day. I asked once and they had said it was for decoration . . . whatever that was. He began throwing them all over the room as he giggled on. When the bed was sufficiently messed up he moved on.

"Um Ezra . . . you really shouldn't mess up the whole room, the people here have bad tempers. He stopped dead in his tracks with a dead scared look.

"Bad like Chloe's?"

"Probably worst." Though I was pretty sure she could be nastier. He walked back over to me and leaned against me. That reminded me. "Did you get any of the bread they brought back to the camp?"

He shook his head. "By the time they came back I was already hiding in the back and if I had come out it would have left without me." I nodded as I thought of what to do about that. The idea hit me soon after. I was more than likely going to be having dinner with the prince. All I had to do was sneak some food back with me. No one would have to know. . .

There was a knock at the door. Without thinking I shoved Ezra under the bed.

The door swung open and the prince walked in with a smile--wait what? He was supposed to be upset about what happened earlier on in the day. Unless . . . they didn't tell him. I sighed inwardly in relief.

"Is something wrong?" He asked, giving me a puzzled look. "Why is your dress all torn? Did something happen while I was gone?"

I shook my head slowly. "No, I accidentally cut it on a sharp surface because I wasn't looking where I was going." I said while looking down.

"Well I came to let you know that we'll be having dinner together." I felt my facial expression drop. What if I we meant the king and queen as well. After yesterday I planned to steer clear of her because it was obvious that we would never be able to share the same eating space, or any space for that matter. He noticed the change in my expression and I saw his drop as well. His brows crinkled as if he were hurt. "By we I meant just the two of us."

Oh, that was okay. I managed to smile so he knew that I was okay with the idea. I saw a smile return to his face. Now I was beginning to feel self-conscious. Why did he have to be looking at me with those eyes and that particular look?

There was another know at the door before it swung open.

"Princess it's time for your bath."

I stared wide eyed at Gail and Helena, the two women who had walked in. Prince Rolan now had a confused look on his face. Slowly I made my way behind him. I never wanted to have another bath for as long as I lived! It was awful and it really hurt! The two women gave me expectant looks but that only made me hide further behind the prince. He turned and looked down at me, clearly not understanding. I felt myself blush as I lowered my eyes. "I hate baths . . . they hurt . . ."