Chapter 10

Tresses of milk chocolate curls weaved through Dormé's fingertips as she fought with Padmé's hair, her tongue stuck out in concentration as she arranged each strand in the most intricate of Nabooian hairstyles. Threepio was fussing behind her, arranging things in the room and muttering distressingly. Momentarily distracted, the loyal handmaiden yanked harder than she had intended to on the hair she was holding, the Senator jerking with a small wince of pain.

"Apologies, my lady," Dormé amended with a wince of her own, looking up at the mirror to see Padmé only smiling.

"It's of no consequence, Dormé." Placated, Dormé returned to her work, humming a soft tune from their shared home planet to ease the tension in the room. It had been over an hour since Anakin and Luke had left, and the house had been awfully quiet outside of Threepio. The handmaiden watched curiously as Padmé rubbed her stomach absentmindedly, the beginnings of a bulge beginning to show through her skirts. Ever since the Senator had confided in her handmaidens about her pregnancy, Dormé had found an even deeper bond forming between her and Padmé.

She was the kindest woman she had ever had the honor of serving, and most of Naboo would agree that she was the best queen they had ever had. Nothing was more humbling than being by her side. She was far kinder than a politician normally would be. When Dormé had been younger, she used to think that it was all just a ploy, a tactic to get people to trust their new and very young queen, but over time she had learned that Padmé was truly selfless and warm-hearted. And Dormé got to be one of her closest friends through it all.

Smiling to herself, the Nabooian girl finished up her work and took a step back, allowing Padmé to admire it. She grinned brightly, turning to her friend with crinkled eyes. "Thank you. It's beautiful as always." The Senator stepped forward to embrace Dormé in a hug, the woman returning the affection without a moment's hesitation. When they broke, Dormé admired Padmé with awe.

"Not as beautiful as you, my lady," she cooed with a shy glance.

Padmé snorted, unbecoming of a noble such as herself. And yet, that was Padmé.

"What have I told you about flattery?" she teased, hiking up her skirts and heading back out to the main room, Dormé and Threepio filtering out behind her.

"That it works," Dormé said with a small smirk.

Padmé shook her head, amused by the antics of her friend. "Well we still have a while until Captain Typho comes to escort me. I should be fine until then. You're free to take the rest of the day."

Dormé bowed shortly. "Of course. Thank you ma'am. And have a good meeting."

"That's what I'm hoping for."

The two women nodded at each other once more before Dormé strode off to her speeder, waving to Padmé as she rode off into the traffic. Threepio waddled up to the Senator while she waved back, still radiating stress.

"Mistress Padmé, are you absolutely sure there's nothing else you need for the meeting?"

Padmé sighed, always boggling on what Anakin had done to the poor droid when he first created him that caused him so much constant anxiety. "Everything's fine, Threepio. I have done this before you know."

Threepio nodded minutely, his metallic fingers still clenching. "Y-yes, I know."

The hum of an incoming engine caught their attention, both of them turning to look out where Dormé had just flown off from. A familiar speeder landed gracefully onto the landing pad, the thrumming sound dying as the driver turned everything off. Anakin and Luke stepped out, the former catching Padmé's eye and smiling sheepishly.