Chapter 5

I trot down the stairs, a bounce in my step. I can hear Michael and John arguing downstairs. I go a little bit faster when I hear a big clang, no doubt, they've started pushing each other. The pots bang and crash onto the marble floor. I run in and grab both of them by their arms. "Stop." I hiss, "Mum's still asleep." I imitate gluggling back a couple of drinks. They nod and push themselves up onto the stool's around the kitchen bar. "Michael, what are you eating?"
"Smartie Cereal." He replies, shoveling it into his mouth.
"Smartie's make a cereal?" I say, putting dishes to soak in the sink.
"No, these are cornflakes with Smarties on top of them."
I make a face of disgust, "That is disgusting." John mumbles an agreement.
"So what were you fighting about?" I say looking at them. They duck their heads in shame.
"Smartie cereal." John tells me.
"Seriously?" I ask, "About him eating cereal?"
"No, about the mess he left on the side and the floor. Smarties, Cornflakes and Milk." John declares, pointing to it.
"And that was really something to fight about? Push each other?"
"Yes, at the time." John looks up at me, "Look I know it's stupid but you know how I feel about uncleanliness and germ mutation and what have you."
"Yes, I know. Okay, we have to go. Michael clean up this mess, now."
Michael Huff's and finishes his cereal.

~

"Wendy, meet James Hook." Mrs. Marshalls tells me.
He has curly brown hair and green eyes, broad and tall.
"Just James." He says, offering me his hand. I take it, giving it a shake.
"Hi, Just James, I'm Wendy Darling. Welcome to our school."
"You're to show him around and help him make friends."
"Okay, thank you Mrs. Marhsalls." I call out to her as she walks down the halls amidst all the busy students rushing to class.
"So? Where did you come from?" I ask James.
"Cornwall, the place of sunshine and surfing. Have you always lived in London."
"Yep, the place of nobody's and pollution." I reply.
"Ah, it can't be that bad. You're here and you're beautiful, you can't be a nobody." James looks at me. My cheeks flush.
"Um, thanks." I stutter. "Where's your timetable?"
He hands me the peice of paper from his messenger bag. I scan over all of his lessons and lunch preferences. Huh, he's allergic to Icing sugar or "Fairy Dust" as Peter calls it and fish.
"You have a lot of the same classes as me." I tell him.
"Well, that can't be a bad thing." He smiles at me.
"No it can't." I smile back at him, watching for his reaction. He seems quite chuffed with himself.
I show him to classes all day and talk to him. He's so funny and charming and intelligent. We had a long discussion about Einstein and Shakespeare.

~

At lunch I'm sitting with James, laughing about some celebrity's nipslip on live television when Peter and Slightly sit down next us. Lily joins us from another table as well, her long black wavy hair tumbling down her back. She eyes up James, like he's prey and she licks her lips. She's such a flirt, but She's my only female friend so let our friendship ensue!
"Peter, Slightly, Lily." I nod at them, "This is James, James Hook."
Slightly slaps him on the back, "Nice! Welcome to our school."
"Always here if you need anything," Lily whispers sexily, grabbing his wrist, "Anything."
The only thing Peter says is, "Peter" giving him what looks like a very painful handshake. James winces a little bit.
"So how do you like it here?" Slightly asks James.
"It's a great school, and I had a wonderful guide," James looks at me, "You're a wonderful storyteller."
"She is isn't she?" Peter glares at James.
"Slightly, I'm loving your shirt." James says, "And the hair, Lily. You look like a goddess."
Peter waits for his turn but it doesn't come. Huh, that's not vey nice. James finishes his yogurt, takes my hand and tells me, "Come on let's go, the tour's not finsihed yet." I pick up my plate and nod at Lily, Peter and Slightly. James walks away but abruptly turns around again. "Peter," James looks at Peter, assessing him, "Like the shoes." Then he enthusiastically waves at the table and pulls me out of the door.