Part 6

Lovell had just begun to un-wrap the injured Indian woman when he heard the heavy beat of approaching horses and loaded creak of beleaguered wagon.

"Stay here, father." he advised the priest, not caring if it was his place to do so, or not. With one hand upon the butt of his holstered pistol, he stepped out of the room and into the light.

The priest turned with some confusion, unsure if he should follow or stay with the injured Indian. Eventually with pained care and much reluctance he began to carefully un-wrap the bundle of blankets that lay on the bed to get a better look of what God had brought to them for their care.

Outside, Bracna looked from the holstered colt to the face of the man who wore it as he stepped out to greet them.

"I heard a shot ... was anyone hurt? As a doctor I may be of some help."

Even before the man could answer, a pained wail came from within the building as another man in monk robes backed out, thin hands playing over his mouth and chin as he turned away and fell to his knees in urgent prayer.

"Well, Doc ..." the gunslinger observed wryly as both men watched the priest while he continued to tremble and moan in desperate prayer, "... as you can clearly see ..." he indicated the priest with the open fingers of his hand, "... it has proven rather fortuitous for you to have appeared as suddenly as you did for we have a badly wounded Indian woman in urgent need of your care just inside. Truth be told, I found her that way without a dishonest hand in getting her there myself. Would you mind, she really could use your help."

The priest pulled himself to his feet as he steadied himself.

"I will get water and towels for cleansing such abomination ..." his voice hoarse with pained emotion, he quickly moved off to leave them while the doctor reached for his medical kit before he jumped down with some urgency to follow the other man into the building.

Abandoned and forgotten, Clementine Blue rose to carefully climb over the bench and dismount, apparently left with only the horses for company.

Unsure of what had just happened, she moved toward the open door of the building to assist where curiosity brought her.

Thoughts of what cats may be around came out of nowhere as she walked through the door and into the room.