Chapter 39

Hey so it'd be kind of cool to know like the age group of my readers so if you want to be a jolly ol' sport you could comment your age bellow :) :)

*

When I started coming to, I could tell I wasn't in the warehouse anymore. The room I was in wasn't nearly as drafty or cold, and I was lying on something soft.

Groggily, I rolled over onto my back, bringing my hands up to rub my eyes only to have my right hand be yanked back by a cold metal grip.

My body became instantly awake at that, all the memories from the pat 24 hours flooding my mind like a hurricane.

When my eyes fully opened there were no bright lights shining in my face, only a dull, faded moonlights streaming in from the windows behind me.

From what I could make out, I was in a large room. There were two doors to my right and one to my left. I was on a bed, closer to the left side of the room than the right, and taking up most the right side of the room was a couple couches and a T.V.

Unless someone was hiding under the bed, I was alone in the room with only my racing thoughts to fill the silence.

I looked at my right hand to see what had restrained my arm earlier, and could see light reflecting off shiny metal handcuffs attaching me to the headboard.

I tried pulling my hand, seeing if the cuffs would budge at all, maybe there was a weak link or Derek didn't put them on properly, but after a few hard tugs it became evident that that was not the case.

Groaning, I brought my left hand up to rub my face, and as I sat there, rendered completely helpless and feeling physically as well as emotionally drained, the severity of the situation really settled in on me.

Nick was working for Derek. This entire time he had been double-crossing everyone. He was the one giving inside information and making it so damn easy for Derek to infiltrate us.

And Dylan, well he was captured right along with me, but I didn't even want to start to imagine what they're doing to him. I know he wouldn't give up easily though, and Derek said they were going to keep him alive until they got the information they wanted.

As for Andrew, for all I knew he could be a prisoner too, or worse, but I didn't want to go down that road, I couldn't if I wanted to stay sane.

So I was on my own, and my only hope for escape is myself.

At that I started to laugh. At first it was just a little scoff kind of laugh, and then it turned into a full-blown hysteria; because how did a girl like me, miss straight A-student, goody-two shoes, boring normal teenage life Emily Banks, end up right smack in the middle of two feuding gangs, used as a bargaining chip for power.

It was absolutely hilarious, the fact that I had lived my entire life thinking nothing exciting would ever really happen to me. Well, how's this for exciting.

Of course the laughter soon died out and was replaced with sobs and thinking how could this happen to me. How could I, of all people, be dragged into this, caught in the middle of a war? Why must I bare the sufferings of my biological parents background? They didn't even raise me for God's sake so why was I being punished?

And then I realized, well, why not me? Why wouldn't I be punished, why wouldn't I have to pay for my parents, they did bring me into this world did they not? And it's not as if I'm some saint. It's not as if I'm above anyone else in this world and it would be damn selfish and a waste of time to think otherwise.

So I stopped crying, and decided that from this point forward there would be no more of that. No more pity parties or self-absorbed sadness. If I really was my only hope of getting out of here, then I'm not going to waste my energy thinking about how I wish I wasn't here or any 'what ifs'. No. I am going to fight until the last breath leaves me body, because you take the hand life gives you and you play it the best you can.