5- Birthday's Present!!!

Happens Everytime

By- Khwaish

Chapter-5

Birthday’s Present!!

I felt as if I was hit with a plethora of emotions, a hurricane of hatred, pain, anguish tore at my heart and stomach. My picturesque family had been shattered. I was left alone and bewildered. I carried this burden on my shoulders. I didn't want to confide this horrible family secret in anyone, nor did I want to discuss it with anyone.   

I was upset. Really upset! I didn’t have any idea of what I should do! I stood from the floor, jerked my mom away and rushed to my room. BANGG!! I closed my door tightly behind me. I wanted to throw things. I had a strong urge to beat someone. But I was all alone.

The truth of my life, as and when it sank within me, initiated an emotional whirlwind which made me feel sick. Sitting on the bed, with the room absorbed in stark darkness, I began sulking.

Many years back when mom told me that pops won’t return I had sworn never to shed tears again, but once again, life had defeated me and was demanding submission. Someone, supposedly residing up in the sky, definitely hated my smile, I thought as my grip on the bed cover tightened. I sat shocked on the edge of my bed, unable to move. The wall of my destiny was standing tall between my wish and grasp, made its vehement presence felt. My jaws locked and my breathing transcended normalcy. I got up suddenly and pulled the bed cover along with the pillow onto the floor with violent energy. My eyes flashed with black fire and trembling body portrayed the zenith of my hysteria. The light lamp was grabbed and ferociously hurled at the door. I kicked the school bag hard which sent it flying and resting at the door. The books kept on shelf were thrown mercilessly, like life had shred my happiness.

Finally when my anger subsided I sobbed till I was caressed by sleep. My dreams were jumbled of the day when pops left … my cheerful life in Delhi and of the day when mom told me about him…..

Jenny’s voice woke me up. She was shouting, “Aahana!!!!! Open the door…….”

“Jenny! I am not well. I’ll talk to you later.” I replied weakly still under the trauma.

“What’s happening Aahana??” she inquired with a touch of worry in her voice

“Nothing special Jenny. I am feeling little down.” I shouted back from the door.

“Common, Aahana!!! It’s your BIRTHDAY today. We ought to celebrate this special day.”

Oh no! It slipped from my mind. Birthday! What a nice present I have received from pops. Great! Remorse engrossed me. I felt even more panicking….

“Jenny, please try to understand. I have already celebrated it. Thanks for your lovely present. Sorry.” I said in slow and monotonous voice.

“OKAY! As you wish. Call me when you want to.” she said, obviously disappointed as she could not have fun with me.