Day 8: The Twist

Day 8: The Twist

Waking up the next day, seeing my same old airplanes hanging on the ceiling, it feels like everything that happened yesterday was just from last night’s dream. Usually I’d wake up just 30 minutes before school starts, but I feel like waking up an hour and a half thinking that in just an hour or so I’ll see Lian Greene again. 

I went down the kitchen and to my surprise my dad is still there. He took his coffee and sat at one of the stools in the kitchen counter. His eyes looked like he didn’t sleep for a year.

He smiled though, that reassuring I’m-not-tired-at-all-no-need-to-worry smile that says ‘’. “How’s school Aiden?” he asked while spreading butter in his toast.

“Fine.” I answered filling my glass with juice. “Don’t work too hard for your case dad. I can almost drag your eyes out from your socket.”

“You are unbelievably early today.” He said ignoring my nagging. It’s funny how things can turn upside down once in a while in our home. One minute dad’s being all stern about bringing friends over and the next I’m the one nagging him for not taking care of himself.

“Stop changing the subject Dad.” I said gulping my orange juice and pretended to be in a hurry.

“Come on Aiden; give your old man a break. And I should be the one asking questions around here.” We both laughed.

“Dad…” I started but rather hesitant to talk to him about Lian. I played with my glass for awhile trying to weigh the pros and cons into asking him some advice.

“Girl problem?” Great. So the father instinct is as strong as that of mom’s.

“Well not really. The problem is I’m too shy when it comes to her. I get tongue-tied. She’s just too beautiful. Too perfect.” I said seriously but then he laughed. Great. I should’ve kept my mouth shut.

“Nice Dad!” I said pissed. But he just sits there and continued laughing. When I stood up and ready to bail he stopped me.

“No one is too perfect Aiden. But you know what? I felt the same way about your mother. She was even the one who marched straight to me and asked my name. I have been looking and admiring her from a distance for five years Aiden, and one day she just walked straight to me. Told me she waited for me five years long that she felt the need to do it herself.”

It’s true what they say then, even love stories can be genetic. Will I have to wait for five years? Will I follow dad’s storyline as well? Or will I create my own movie?

“But you know what son. I would’ve been the one who walked straight to her. I would’ve been the one who marched up in front of her, if it had been that way, I would’ve spent five more years with her. Five supposedly amazing years lost because I didn’t even have the courage to ask her name.”

Breakfast ended there, we didn’t notice we were talking so much that it almost made my dad spill coffee all over his shirt. I walked to the train station with at least 45 minutes to spare. I have to think, to gather the courage in case I see her there.

She wasn’t though. I looked at the boxes of strawberries in my hands, time to give it in person I convinced myself. She isn’t there in her locker when I arrived.

I didn’t risk the chance of my gathered courage just by looking at her. No! It’s not advisable! Seeing her means losing courage again.

Time seems to past by so fast I didn’t realized it is already lunch time. I took the strawberries out my bag and breathe deeply. You can do it Aiden! You’ve talked to her twice, you’ve already been exchanging smiles with her, heck, you even asked her to dance. Chill! Chill Aiden!

Just then someone stole the boxes out from my grasp and just when Kyle is about to open it.

“KYLE STOP!” the corridor was silent for awhile. Everybody just stopped walking and started looking at me, confusion written all over their faces. “Seriously, Westville University students, are all of you named Kyle Fitzburg?”

They started walking when they realized that there isn’t anything to worry about.

“Who’re they from?” he said smirking.

“I’m the one giving them ok!”

“AHAH! So you lied! You do have a mushy side!”

“Just move ok man? I have to do this alone.”

He patted my back and just gave my shoulders a nudge, “I know how it feels man. Just go get her, ok? Make me proud WAYLAND!”

When I reached her locker she isn’t there, I waited for about 10 minutes but she didn’t come. I walked straight to her classroom but her seat by the window is empty as well. When a girl went out I suddenly grabbed her hand just to stop her.

“Hey, have you seen Lian Greene?” I asked.

Her face crimson red when she realized that I’m holding her arm, I decided to let go. 

“She transferred to another school.”

That’s all she said. 
Transferred. 
One insignificant word 

that changes everything. 

Transferred Wayland!

Perfect timing.