Chapter 48 - The Angels Take Manhattan Part 1

Chapter 48 - The Angels Take Manhattan, Part 1: Yowzah!

Third Person's POV:

"New York, the city of a million stories. Half of them are true, the other half just haven't happened yet. Statues, the man said. Living statues that moved in the dark."

The rain fell heavily in downtown New York City. And inside a mansion, stood a Mr Garner and Mr Grayle.

"So, will you take the case, Mr Garner?" Grayle asked, putting money on the desk.

"Sure." Mr Garner replied. "Why not?"

Grayle smirked.

"Because you don't believe me."

"For $25 a day plus expenses, I'll believe any damn thing you like." Garner countered.

"But you don't believe that statues can move." Grayle began to smile, and chuckle. "And you're right, Mr Garner. They can't. Of course they can't..."

Mr Grayle turned to the window and peeked through the curtains at a statue on the wall.

"...when you're looking."

"Good night, Mr Grayle."

Garner picked up the money and left the room. As soon as he had gone, Grayle turned around and peeked through the window once more.

The statue had gone.
~~~~
"The address Grayle gave me was an apartment block near Battery Park. He said it was where the statues went. I asked him why he didn't go look himself. He didn't answer. Grayle was the scariest guy I knew. If something scared him, I kind of wanted to shake it's hand."

Garner walked into the apartment block, ignoring the fact that the weeping angel statue outside was no longer weeping. Instead, it had its hands up like claws and an evil sharp-toothed grin.

"Hello?" Garner said. "Hello?"

As he spoke, the elevator came down the shaft, and the doors to it opened. Garner walked in cautiously, not noticing the statue that had appeared behind him.

"What the..." he began as the lift went up without any buttons being pressed.

He stepped out of the lift and walked along the corridor until he came across a door. A door with his name on it. He opened the door and proceeded to knock on it.

"Hello? Anyone home?"

Garner looked at the seemingly identical coat and hat to his that was on the stand, and picked up a wallet. Comparing it to his, he realised that it was an older version of it..

All of a sudden, there was a grunting sound in the back end of the room.

"Hello? Who are you?" he asked the old man that was laying in a bed.

"They're coming for you. They're going to send you back." the man spoke.

"Who's coming? Back where?"

"In time." the man said. "Back in time. I'm you. I'm you."

Garner backed away and walked out of the room, coming face-to-face with an Angel in the corridors. He turned around as the lift bell dinged and saw another Angel stood in there. Turning around again, the first Angel had moved closer. They both moved every time he looked away from them.