Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty: Olli's POV

As promised, the night before American Thanksgiving, James flew into Pittsburgh International to spend the holiday with his sister, his niece, and I.

With his very sweet, very gracious girlfriend, Melanie, in tow, he showed up on our doorstep around midnight, wearing a smile that could've lit up the entire neighborhood.

"My baby sister!" He cooed, throwing his arms around my wife the instant he saw her. "I've missed you so much!"

In a way, it was almost weird seeing him and Alex so loving, instead of down each other's throats. Of course, months had past since the bulk of hostility between them went down, but it still didn't seem possible that they were on friendly terms. It made me happy, but it just felt very bizarre.

"I've missed you too," Her voice was muffled, since she was ultimately speaking into his chest. The height difference between them was near-comical, with James towering over her like the Jolly Green Giant.

She was so short, but it was so precious.

Once they broke apart, James immediately attached himself to me.

"Olli, how on earth are you feeling? You're like a living legend!" Although I liked to consider myself a pretty muscular guy, James's embrace was tight enough to knock all the air from my lungs.

"I'm doing much better," I wheezed, awkwardly resting my chin on my brother-in-law's shoulder.

Alex and I had cleaned the entire house, bought all the necessary groceries, and done everything we possibly could have to make sure the two days that we'd have guests would be perfect. The only thing we couldn't have prepared for, I guess, was the proper hugging etiquette.

Before pulling away, James thwacked the meat of my back, just between my shoulder blades, in a way that was intended to be supportive, but ended up making me see stars. Mentally, I thanked everything holy that during all the Olex drama with him, there was never any physical altercations. If there had been, my ass would've been whooped big time.

"This is my better half, Mel," He then introduced, gesturing to the slender, blonde woman standing beside him. "I'm wild about her, even though she's way out of my league."

"The best ones usually are," Alex grinned cheekily, glancing at me from the corner of her eyes.

"Okay, okay, icky romance aside, where's that adorable little 'Melia?" James ushered himself and his girlfriend into the foyer, pulling the front door shut behind them. "Because let's face it, you two noodleheads are okay, but she's the main event."

Alex shook her head to herself, with the faintest trace of a smirk pulling at the corners of her mouth. It was so good to see her so happy. Having James be several state borders away had put a strain on her, without a doubt, and she'd been waiting to finally see him in person, again. Phone calls and Skype meetings just hadn't been enough.

"Are you kidding, bro? It's twelve in the morning; she's asleep. What kind of parents do you think we are?"

Melanie quietly giggled, looking to Alex with genuine compassion. You could tell without even having to consider it, that they were going to grow close.

Lovingly, James rolled his eyes at his sister. "You're a piece of work, my dear. This man," He wagged a finger in my direction. "Is an absolute saint for putting up with you."

"Oh stop," She chirped him right back. "You know you love me. You've loved me since mom and dad brought me home from the hospital."

"That was the worse day of my life, bar none." James flashed her a playfully, pointing grin.