chapter eighteen

this is what I've imagined the house to look like!!

Blaze;

The familiar shift in the taste of the weather and the surroundings my eyes captured were not deceiving my mind; I was in New York. Everything appeared the same as the car passed down the streets; the brick houses were still personally decorated, the evergreen trees still shaded parts of the ground and the sound of honks were still the background to conversations that passed along sidewalks. The shock of being in this state numbed the other emotions desperate to be felt. With every attempt to discover something new in this place I only found one; myself. The girl I have constructed and constantly bettered within me now had eyes that contracted with the lively feelings inside her and her tone no longer dulled with the dark fantasies that consumed her head.

The house that once stripped me to the core of slamming to rock bottom was right in front me, the exterior exactly the way it had always been. I felt intimated, my feet still as the musk of the dried out leaves fell from above me. There were many actions my mind plotted for me to perform when I reached this destination but now with everything in front of me I felt small. Fighting with the fear that pulled back my arms, I walked up the concrete stairs and to the black front door, my hand quivered at the sight.

I knocked timidly, swallowing, my eyes were invited with my mother's smile. "Hi honey."

The tone of her voice was soothing to the nerves that swarmed my body. The glossiness of her eyes spoke louder than her verbalized greeting as she embraced me in a hug. Her hand rubbed my back, the potent scent of her skin wiped against my nose. A smile blossomed onto my face as she kissed the top of my head, separating ourselves after this so she could look at me once more.

"Come on, no need to stand in this chilly weather." Her motions gestured me into the house and I complied, blocking away my fear.

When my brain brought me to this scene, I had expected some sort of agonizing pain to arrive in me but as I stepped onto the polished floor I felt nothing. The crème walls that once only heard the shouts of anger and cries of deadly wishes looked the same; the photos of my childhood and pieces of artwork were still hung up. The mirror towards the corner that led to the kitchen still remand and for once unlike the other times I looked into it and felt no disgust.

This house was witnessing a new Blaze.

My mother, whose hands wrapped around my luggage walked into the kitchen, placing my item to the side. I followed her and felt a sense of warmth spread across my chest as the pastries I had once adored as a child was on a few plates on the counter. I received a grin from my mom as I sat down on the stool, my eyes wandering around the room I was once so accustomed to hating.

"I thought you might wanted tea. Nana said you like this flavor."

The pale green cup was hot against my palms as steam released from the beverage. The taste was sweet against my tongue as I continued to drink the liquid. My mother copied my actions as we sat in a few minutes of relaxing quietness which I longed for since all my previous days have had been filled with figuring out how the arising drama was going to be contained.

"You look stressed."

The words that started the conversations were ones I had started to grow familiar with.

"Can't even disagree with you Mom." I shrugged my shoulders.

"How have you been taking all of it? I could only imagine how draining it is." She said, placing her cup down.

"Sometimes I want to believe I'm dreaming, you know? But I shouldn't be complaining, none of us should. We were the ones who did the wrong and this anonymous person is just showing people that we aren't actual good human beings."