Chapter Thirteen

Seeing Zeus naked was not something I felt adequately prepared for. However, the temptation to walk into the bathroom and get in the shower with him was beating strongly against my brain. I imagined that it would be like . . . seeing the sun for the first time—a total life changing experience. Whatever happened after that was sure to be life altering as well.

Plucking up what little self control I had left, I slid from his bed and quietly left the room, leaving him there. Naked.

There was a wonderful smell filling the house and I focused on that, using it to distract me from the handsome man in the shower. My nose brought me to the kitchen, where I found French toast keeping warm in the oven. I turned and spotted fruit and syrup on the table, as well as a vase full of fresh flowers.

Everything looked delicious. I smiled as I poured myself some orange juice and pulled a chair over to the window. Settling into my seat and taking a sip of my drink, I decided to wait for Zeus so I could properly thank him for his hard work.

The warm morning light washed over me in the silence and I closed my eyes, breathing in the peace of the room and the relief I felt in knowing he wasn't going to push me to sleep with him. Part of me was still wary, but I felt much better. Remembering last night's dream helped with my uneasiness. The things he'd said were perfect. Maybe someday he would say them to me for real. Smiling softly, I recalled his soft kisses and the smoothness of his voice. Lightly running my fingers over my mouth, the shadow of his kiss still lingered. Is it possible he actually came in? A warm flush filled my cheeks at the thought. If every day of my life could be like that dream, I'd die a happy woman.

Suddenly, the elevator doors opened and a woman in a very low cut, dark-purple dress barreled into the room. Her red hair, pinned up elegantly, revealed black gauges in her ears. She was a beautiful person, until you looked into her eyes. All I could see there was hate and anger, directed at me.

"Well, well, well," she said, stopping behind the couch, crossing her arms, and frowning at me. "What do we have here? Another little tramp?"

My mouth popped open at her rudeness. "Excuse me?"

"Don't talk to me," she snapped. "You are nothing. You will never be worth anything."

"Who do you think you are?!" My face was flushing and I fought the urge to jump up and throw something at her.

"Where is Zeus?" she demanded, ignoring my question.

"No, who are you?" I shot back, rising from my chair.

"Listen you little slut," she hissed. "Tell me where my no good ex-husband is or you'll be sorry!"

I snapped my mouth shut, stung as if I'd been slapped in the face, and pointed to the bedroom. Without a word, she turned and threw the doors open, storming through them.

"What the?" I heard Zeus yell as the bathroom door burst open.

"Honey, I'm home!" the woman sneered. "Miss me?"

"What are you doing here?" Zeus growled.

I quietly crossed the room to listen better.

"What, you're not happy to see me?" I could hear the pout in her voice.

"If it were up to me you'd be hanging off a cliff somewhere," he shot back.

"That's too bad. I wouldn't be able to tell you the message Kronos sent."

I gasped. If she was working with his uncle then she must be nuts.

"He proposes a bargain," she began again.