Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Deni sat on her bed thinking about what Donovan had just said. "Live with him.' She repeated it in her head 'Live with him.' She wasn't sure if she was ready for that yet. He was great and she was falling for him, but she wasn't ready to give up her life with her family and Stephan. Now she had to think of how to tell him. She held his hand and pulled his face around so they were looking at each other. "I really want to come stay with you, but I don't think I am ready to leave here yet."

Donovan obviously hurt by her decision moved away from her. "Why!" he growled softly

She reached for his hand again. "I have all my friends and family here. This is the only pack I am used to and I am afraid to leave."

Donovan looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "And I think you forgot one important thing" his eyes quickly changed they became very angry.

Deni looked confused. "What's that?" she lowered her eyebrows.

"Stephan!" he growled. "Stephan will be here, you will be there, no more playing house and acting like mates with the ex-boyfirend." His words came out very harsh. That was his way of letting Deni know he knew what her and Stephan had done in that house. Donovan stood up and walked out the door.

Deni closed her eyes his words hit her hard. She knew that she was going to have to explain. But she was hoping that their last few hours together had helped to hold off that conversation for a little while. "Donovan wait!" she yelled.

Donovan was now at the bottom of the stairs. He glanced over his shoulder to the top of the stairs. Alpha Kerrington was sitting on the couch inquisitively watching him. Donovan was torn, go back up or keep walking. He rubbed his hands through his hair he wondered if she would ever stop choosing Stephan over him. He could hear Deni moving around the room. She had to get dressed to come down stairs. He could easily go to his truck and leave before she could get down there, but he stood frozen. He started the conversation now it needed to be finished. Donovan sat on the last step and waited for Deni.

Kerrington looked at him. "I think we need to talk once you finish your conversation with my daughter." Donovan just nodded and closed his eyes. He knew wolves had very keen hearing and a very keen sense of smell so almost everything he and Deni had done in that room her father already was aware of. Donovan had broken a promise he had made to an Alpha and now was going to have to face him for it. Donovan wondered could the day get any worse for him.

Deni came down the steps with tears in her eyes. She sat beside Donovan and looked up at him. Tears began to fall she reached up to wipe them hoping he wouldn't notice. As she put her hand back down in her lap he reached over took her hand and stood up. "Let's go outside and talk."

They walked out onto the porch and sat in two chairs that faced each other. For a few minutes they sat quiet just looking at each other and finally Deni opened up first. "You started now finish. Playing house and playing mates. Go ahead and finish getting it off your chest now!" She folded her arms across her chest.

Donovan looked away. "I just don't understand how you could do that." He took a deep breath to prevent sounding angry. "You were intimate with him, he tried to kill you recently and you were intimate with him. Do you love him?" Donovan shook his head in disbelief.