Dave: Befriend John

Daves POV:

Monday. A brand new day, a brand new start. You have on a red sweatshirt with a light red gear smack in the middle of your chest, and you must admit that it is, indeed, your favorite thing you've ever worn. Of course, you put on black skinny jeans, red shoes, comb your beautiful blond locks, and most importantly, adjust your shades. Your aviators are too important to you. If you didn't have them on, people would instantly know that you're different, that somehow you just might not be human. Of course, that's a little bit of a stretch, but you can't be too cautious.

You and your brother have had a productive morning, eating cereal and getting prepared to look your best for school. Why human food? Why go to school? It's a simple answer, actually. Ten years ago, you had met a child that couldn't even beg for its life, and somehow that brought up a nicer side to you. Example: After that, any meal you could find made you stop in your tracks because you just couldn't summon up the guts to kill it. You would always picture that terrified, adorable, defenseless child's face every. Single. Fucking. Time. Now, onto the school question. You and your brother age extremely slowly compared to a human. In fact, you could say that you've been sixteen for many years now. And after ten years of thoughts building up and wanting to see that child again, you finally made your move and enrolled in his school. Dirk, however, would not let you go alone. He wanted to make sure that you were in check, and vise versa.

As you arrive at the school the bell rings, signaling that there is ten minutes before class begins for the day. You and Dirk, who will occasionally be referred to as "Bro" head upstairs to math, ignoring the strange looks from other students. You do realize that some of them have been fawning over at least one of you, and you'd hate to disappoint them, but...no.

As you and your sibling round a corner, Dirk is hit by one of the members of oncoming traffic. "Oh, my apologize, sir." The guy said with a British accent, after his own books had spilled out of his arms. He was shorter than Dirk, his hair was slightly neatly groomed. His clothing color oddly matched his emerald eyes, which were put behind black rectangular glasses.

"Hey, no problem." Dirk bent down to help the guy out, while you stood next to him, others quickly zooming past you. You can feel a slight smirk twitch at your lips as you watch, but you fight it back as hard as you fucking can.

Within seconds, the stranger had his papers and books up, smiling and thanking the taller Strider for his help. As you begin to walk back, you smirk with your voice, not your face. "Hey, Dirk, he was cute."

"What?" Dirk sounded falsely offended, as if the British guy wasn't at all charming the demon brony. "No he wasn't."

"You should ask him out."

"You should stop being a little bitch."

"If only I were taller, then I could stop." You said, with a sarcastic, dreamy, quality to your words. Your bro didn't reply to that, he probably figured that it was pointless to argue.

Inside the classroom, you and Dirk both part your separate ways and sit in your own desks. Anxiously, you wait for the mute kid to come and sit by you, and you're kind of really hoping that he will be in his seat before the ten minutes are up.

It's been about five minutes since the bell rang, and still no sign of him. You move your eyes from the door and back to Dirk, which, surprisingly, is covered in girls, causing you to laugh on the inside.

When you turn back towards the door, you see him. John Egbert, aged sixteen, hot and not-a-kid-anymore-beautiful, came and sat in his desk seat right next to you.

You breathe deeply for a moment, keeping the "No rant," notion in mind before you turn his way and say, "Yo, I'm Dave Strider, and you are?" Seven little words has your heart pounding like little kid tapping continuously on a drumset.

John's attention had gone from his thoughts to reality in a split second. At first he had looked startled, but the frightened appearance didn't seem to calm down much after he reached for a piece of paper and a pencil to write back. "john egbert,"

"Nice to meet you, John," Oh fuck, some of your country accent was slipping out. Are you that nervous already? "Can you talk?"

He shook his head. Of course, you already knew that answer, but for some reason you get the feeling that he's not aware that you've met before. Or maybe he is aware, but he is just trying to place you? You may never know, but whatever the reason, it's best that you stay formal.

He wrote back, "no i'm mute." He bit his lip with his adorable little overbite and kind of shrugged.

"Well, no reason to waste perfectly good paper. You can use sign language with me." You shifted your sunglasses up on your nose. You hadn't noticed, but they had slightly been sliding down because you had been avoiding eye contact so much, even though someone else looking at your eyes would be an impossibility.

John lifted his hands and moved them swiftly and with ease. "You know ASL?"

You nod. "Hell yeah I do. You should never doubt the knowledge of a Strider. It's infinite wisdom and poetry. Poetry in the form of a fucking awesome rap, I mean. Rapping is kind of my thing, and it's pretty fun. We could have ASL rap battles or something, where I only rap through sign language and shi-" Snapping? Yeah, definitely snapping. Dirk, apparently, has been watching the whole time and he knew that you were on one of your rambles. "Sorry." You sign back to the boy in blue, who's shirt color also matched his eyes.

Did you learn ASL just so you could talk with a dorky, pretty, mute boy? Yes. Yes you did.

"No, it's fine." John replied, "I bet I could beat you." he grinned just enough to where you could see many of his teeth, and damn were they beautiful.

"Alright, I'll hold you to your word, Egderp." You wink, then turn around to face the front of your desk as the bell sounded.

It looked like your crush was trying to sign back, "That's not my name," but gave up when the teacher, who was wearing a similar light green tux and bowtie as he did before, entered the classroom and shut the door. You had heard from some of the other students that he had been given the nickname, "Mr. Milkshake," and you think that that's pretty damn fitting.

A few minutes into class, and you feel a slight tap on your shoulder. You look over and John's holding out a ripped corner of a paper with something written on it. You take it when the teacher has his back turned and read the boys handwriting. "it's egbert."

~~~>

John's POV:

"John?" Jake asked from his seat next to you at the lunch table, shaking your shoulder slightly as he spoke. You had spaced out, and had probably not been responsive for a few minutes or so. "Are you okay?"

You nodded and signed, seeing as Jade was there and could translate for you. "Yeah, it's just one of the new kids."

"Well, what about them?" Jake replied, then continued on without waiting for your response. "I ran into one of them earlier. Quite literally, in fact, and he was extremely well mannered for what you would think that one like him would be."

"Jake, are you dreaming about your boyfriend again?" A smug reply sounded from Jade. She had her arms on the lunch table, her hands beneath her chin.

"No, I'm just thinking that maybe you have him wrong." He blushed. You would have grinned at this, but you kind of aren't in the humorous mood. "I'm sorry, please continue to carry on with your misfortunes." Jake turned the conversation over to you.

"Dave, the shorter one with the normal glasses, is trying to befriend me, I think?" You waited for Jade to finish relaying your words to Jake so there would be no problem transitioning the unspoken words into something he could hear. "And he seems nice and all, but he seems too different and cool. I'm sure he wouldn't acknowledge me if he knew that I tend to get bullied."

"No, John." Jade made it easy to understand when it was her who was speaking again. "If he really wants to be your friend, I'm sure a few bullies won't get in his way." Jake sounded his agreement, but you still weren't so sure. You were hardly sure when you made these friends and had also no idea what they would do when they found out. So how are you supposed to know with a mysterious guy like that? Maybe, just maybe, he would surprise you.