Chapter 1

It was a dark and tragic night for the Survey Corps. We were sent out on a suicide mission and as a result, lost more than half of our soldiers. As we were trying to recapture wall Maria, a bunch of abnormal titans appeared out of nowhere and wiped most of us out. I somehow managed to run away.

I hate this.

Hiding in a dark abandoned building all alone. The only sound I could hear was the storm outside. The storm and my heart. It was beating so loud... I felt like it could burst out of my chest any moment now.

I had lost all hope. I wanted to see my family so bad. I wanted to tell them just how precious they were to me. Just how much I love them.

And I wanted to tell him.

Instead I would die like this...carrying my feelings to the grave.

I felt cold. Sad. Lonely. Afraid. And angry. Angry that I couldn't do anything back then. Angry that I just ran away like a coward instead of facing the titans and dying like a hero. Tears started falling down my cheeks.

"I don't want to die. I don't. Save me...somebody save me already....Levi." I cried out.

Suddenly I heard a very loud noise. As if something broke. In a second I realized what had happened. The roof above me had disappeared. As I felt the rain falling down my body I looked up and froze in fear. A 15 meter tall titan was staring at me. I had to run away. I knew that. But somehow... I couldn't move. Its arm reached towards me. I closed my eyes.

That's it.

I'm done for.

Goodbye everyone.

I'm sorry I wasn't that good of a person. But hey, at least I was a good soldier right? I did my best. I contributed to humankind. Right? I knew the answer to my own question but I tried to believe in the beautiful lie I had longed to hear one day.

At least I get to see everyone now. Heh...I wonder if they would be mad at me that I ran away that time. Would they hate me? I waited for some time but nothing happened. No hand grabbed me. I was still there, alive. I looked up and saw the Corporal standing above me.

I was laying in a bed. A nice comfortable bed. My room? But how did I get there? And why was he of all people looking at me like that. He was opening and closing his mouth.

"Just like a fish." I thought.

And then I realized he was actually calling out my name.

" Y/N! Y/N! Answer me!"

"Y-yes, Corporal!"

"Are you alright? Are you feeling okay now?" He seemed worried.

"Yes, I... What happened?" I asked confused.

"A titan almost devoured you, that happened. You were just staring at it unable to react on time. If I hadn't been there, you'd be-"

"Wait... You saved me?"

"Who else could have saved you, brat."

Tears filled up my eyes and as they started falling down my face, I recalled the horror I felt back then."Thank you, Sir. Thank you..." I cried.

He showed no emotion as usual but he held my hand in his as I cried.