2.21. Alann Bragollach, Revenge of the Elves

A huge host had been gathered in Solkh: ten thousand strong in cavalry alone, and fifteen thousand more of archers, swordsmen and spearmen. Every kingdom of Yunan sent their share. Some of the kings led their soldiers themselves, others gave command to their best generals. The High King rejoiced seeing brave warriors, splendidly armed, and finely trained, which had been conducting their exercises in the open field before the castle of Falaris. Everyone who looked at them felt theirs hopes rise high. They said, "We shall pay the Ancients for their evil deeds a hundredfold!" For there were high mounds built upon the mass graves of the victims of Solkh, and they were visible from everywhere, bare and somber, as if calling for vengeance.

Yet the humans had no magic on their side. There were quite a lot of sorcerers in Yunan trained in magical combat. They knew all kinds of powerful and deadly spells, like fireballs, frost rings and chain lightning. Also they knew how to deflect enemy spells and cast protective spells on themselves and their comrades. But none of them answered Levorham's summons. They preferred to do battle between themselves, someplace empty of people and obstacles, and never took part in human wars. The sorcerers were immortal, so they didn't see the Ancients as their enemies and humans as their kin.

Time passed, but there was still no Elvish army in sight. The generals mused, "Could it be that the Elves were frightened into retreat deep into the GreatForest? They probably won't pose a threat for us from now on."

Ashurran argued, "The Elves are creatures devoid of pity and compassion. They don't fear death. Only the primeval flame was able to scare them, but it is no more, since I've lost my fine winged beast. So they are in no hurry to attack. Remember, they had waited for decades to strike their first blow on the human race. They will take their time in gathering their forces, but gather them they will. We should be ready at any hour of day and night."

She was right, of course. Autumn wasn't over yet when the fires were lighted on the hills and burial mounds of Solkh, signaling that the enemy was making his move. Mist crept from under the trees of the GreatForest, as a legion of poisonous snakes. There was movement in the mist, and for a minute it would seem that the trees themselves budged and stepped forward. But it turned to be the Elven host, terrible to look at. There were hundreds and hundreds of tall warriors, clad in green and brown, with their faces painted the same color of leaves and bark. Armed with spears and swords, most of them were on foot, but some mounted. Marvelous were their steeds! Not horses were they, but elks, stags, and aurochs. And there were crouching beasts alongside them — wild beasts with eyes gleaming with rage and hunger: bears, wolves, boars, lynxes.

Upon seeing the signal fires the High King of Yunan immediately gave command to advance. Their great host went forward in perfect formations, with trumpets and drums. The soldiers' hearts were lifted in anticipation. They couldn't wait to meet their sworn enemies again, this time not in the treacherous forest, but under the open sky. Everyone thought, "We are sure to win the day! Unlike the Elves, we humans are used to fighting in the field!"

The two hosts were positioned at the opposite sides of a great field. Two remaining sides were enclosed by a river and a range of hills. As a masterpiece by a great artist they were, for a moment at least. Chain-mails shone like hoarfrost; banners streamed in the wind; lances and tridents swayed like iron reeds. Ashurran, on the cavalry's right flank with Matholwy, was going mad with desire to engage. She didn't have to wait long, though. Suddenly there was movement, and the beasts rushed forward onto the human ranks, like an avalanche of claws and teeth.

Fierce was the battle, and ruthless. Bears broke spines of people and horses. Wolves tore their throats out. Lynxes and boars shredded their guts. Terrible howls resounded through the field, along with shrieks and moans, both human and animal. Yet the men stood their ground, and the first attack died out. All the attacking animals were put to the sword, and their corpses littered the battlefield.