Chapter Twelve: Safety

“I know who I am. Please, let me go. I won’t bother you.” I crawled away from him toward the railing. He swung the ax at me; I ducked out of the way. “What is wrong with you?” I scuttled around the deck, searching for any sort of escape amidst the vast sea surrounding the boat. No horizon, no other boats, only miles of glistening seawater.

Abraham dropped the ax. “I spent a lifetime trapped in this mindset. When I failed to produce a daughter, I failed mankind. And I suffered for it. I’m not gonna let one slip between my fingers because she wants to go home! Now, get over here, yah little chit!”

Lyn grabbed my arms and pulled them behind me. “Hold still!”

I writhed. “Let me go!” My mind flooded with images of Alph clutching my arms while Poseidon carved my skin. My heart pounded at the thought.

Abraham stood over me with the ax. Using the blunt handle, he knocked me over the head. “Maybe if we’re lucky, yah’ll lose yer memory again.”

My eyes crossed as the dull pain encased my head, centered at the base of my skull. I struggled to keep myself aware, to keep my eyes open. My eyes closed. My head lolled forward. I knew what was going on, but could do nothing to change it.

“Ryan, tie up her wrists, and throw her in the bedroom,” Lyn snapped. “And Abraham, go steer. I’ve got no idea where we are right now.”

He replied, “I need to go to shore. We’re almost out of fresh water. I’m settin’ a course for the port of Dunver.” The wind carried his voice off as he moved farther away.

Dunver? How did I get to the Varstan Sea?

“You think it’s safe to go to shore with the girl on board?” Ryan asked, jerking my arms behind my back and tying them. His hands were inept, and his knot would be easy to undo even behind me.

I tried to kick out my legs, but I still couldn’t move. My body rolled with the waves, each turn of the boat causing my limbs to flop. Two hands hooked around my underarms and dragged me along the wooden deck. As Ryan carried me down the stairs, my legs slapped against each step. My head bounced around.

Ryan threw me onto a plush bed. “I really didn’t want it to come to this, Lila. You know, you could’ve just kept your mouth shut about who you are. I could’ve made you happy.” He laid next to me, and his breath tickled my cheeks. “I think I’m in love with you. Daddy wasn’t ever in love with Momma. I can save the world and have you by my side. Wouldn’t you want that?” His fingers curled in my hair. As he stroked it backwards, gently soothing me, my heart calmed enough for me to fall into a gentle slumber.

When I awoke, I tried to move my outer extremities against my pounding headache. My fingers twitched. My eyes fluttered open. “Ryan,” I said, my voice foggier than I hoped for. A throb encased my skull, making thinking nearly impossible. “Ryan, let me go.” I wriggled my wrists. As I squirmed against the rope, it loosened.

“No. You won’t even give me a chance.” His fingers caught my necklace. “This is an odd little trinket.” He pulled it off my neck to get a better look.

My heart stuttered. “Please, give it back.” I thought about Dill, about burrowing my face into his shirt and wrapping my arms around him. Tears bunched in my eyes.

“Who gave it to you?” His voice rose, stinging with hostility. He pressed my torso into the bed. “Tell me, Lila.”

Laying on my broken hand, I whimpered. “My name is Jenny. Ryan, you do not have to settle for me. If you let me go, there will be another girl who’ll fall in love with you when the time is right.”