chapter four // the bunks.

Mia's POV

My mind races as I scan the crowded party with eager eyes. The jumble of foreign faces makes me feel claustrophobic as the room continues to stream in more and more people. I push my way through, searching for one person in particular.

The loud bass of the speakers vibrate through the soles of my shoes, making my pulse beat at an irregular speed, making me more nervous than necessary. The impatience inside my grows as I push people out of my way, trying my hardest to find who I'm looking for.

My eyes land on Louis, all the way across the room. He has his band beside him, paying him and I no attention. And of course, Louis gives me an encouraging smile. Feeling rather overwhelmed with all my searching, I take a step forward to join Louis, the only familiar face around here.

But just as I take a step forward, the one I had been looking for steps right in my line of vision, completely blocking Louis from view. My heart stops as well as my entire body.

Shiloh.

He grips a cup and bobs along to the music, completely unaware of me standing directly in front of him. His eyes travel everywhere but to me.

After I collect my thoughts, regaining a normal breathing rate as well, I rush towards him. Unable to help myself, I throw my arms around his neck, holding him close to me so I can breathe in his familiar scent of body wash and spearmint gum. His broad shoulders feel just as I remembered them beneath my grip.

But our reunion is cut all too short when he's breaking free from my embrace, taking a few steps away from me. Confused, I look up to him, scanning his muddy brown eyes for some explanation.

"Um, excuse me, do I know you?" He asks me, crinkling his nose in confusion, probably matching my own expression identically.

My jaw literally drops as I stare at the boy I love so dearly. If possible, I think I can feel my heart literally breaking in two. With desperation, I search his face for some hint of humor, hoping he's cracking one of his crude jokes I never really found all that funny.

But unfortunately, my searches are left up blank.

"Shiloh, it's - it's me; Mia," I splutter out, in disbelief.

He's forgotten me completely?

I watch in horror as he shakes his head, frowning. My name is just another to him. I'm just Mia to him now. He's forgotten all that makes me me; all that makes me his. Just like that, it's vanished completely.

Giving me a peculiar look, he walks away, doing his best to act quickly so I don't follow him. Tears well up in my eyes as I feel my life leaving along with him; all my reasons to be.

I glance back to the spot Louis was occupying a few moments ago, but it's completely vacant. I'm left completely all alone in this damned busy place, that sensation of drowning overcomes me as everything slowly creeps into darkness.

"Rise and shine boys! Hope you enjoyed your wild and crazy night, now it's back to business time!" A loud voice booms, echoing against every wall.

I sit up with a jolt, whether it's due to the wake-up call, or from the awful dream, I'm not quite sure. As I sit up, I bang my head against something, sending me right back down again, landing on my pillow with a thud.

"Fuck," I grumble, rubbing my forehead and moaning.

"I thought we had the day off!" A British voice calls out from one of the bunks below me.