Small World

Shane

“Thanks for coming with me." Cole says to me. He looks worried, I've been through this before so I'm fine.

He tells me how to get to Noah's house and we listen to the radio instead of talking, most of the way there.

"Why is Maggie back?" Drew asks quietly.

"I don't want to talk about that right now Drew." I snap at him.

"Shane we need to keep Claire safe, you know that!" I snaps back at me.

"I know." I say stopping at a red light and putting my head on the steering wheel.

"Shane." Cole mumbles and elbows me since the light turned green and my head was still down.

We pull up into Noah's house and before we can get out she runs out and gives my brother a hug.

"Come on! Come on!" She sounds excited and not in a good.

I walk in the house and see a chick on the couch and she looks like she's in pain. I bet she is, Mia just screamed all through her labor. It wouldn't have been so bad if she wasn’t in labor for seventeen hours. What a night that was.

This girl looks really familiar. Where have I seen her before? Shit, I didn't go out with her did I? No she looks a few years older then me. Maybe she's Brittany's friend or something. But I don't think she'll remember me so I'm good.

"You're friends with my brother, right?" She says while grabbing on to the couch so hard that her knuckles are turning white.

"Who's your brother?" I ask confused. "Are you okay, can I get you anything?"

"Chance, and no I'm okay right now."

"Chance is Noah's brother? Wow I haven't talked to him since high school ." I tell her.

"I know-" She was going to say something else but she lets out a scream instead.

"Are you sure you don't need anything? Like maybe a hospital?"

"You think I should go to the hospital?"

"Um, yeah. I mean that's what we did when my ex went into labor."

"I'm scared..." Her voice trails off.

"Don't be, everything will work out. I promise. Oh, I'm Shane and that's Drew over there." I say realizing that I didn't know her name and she didn't know mine.

"Harmony." she says with a smile

"Yeah um, why aren't we on the way to hospital?" Drew looks at me like we're crazy for just sitting here talking.

"Where's the father?" Drew asks.

"Don't know, don't care." She says flatly.

She has another contraction and grabs Drew's arm this time." Ow, ow, ow,." He says getting louder with each word.

"Noah!" She screams for her sister.

We all turn around and see Noah and Cole buys sucking each others faces.

"Cole!" Drew and I both bark at him and they separate.

"Lets get her in the car." Drew says and we help her up and get her in the car.

The car ride is quiet except for when Harmony has another contraction. The whole thing makes me think of Claire and Mia. I don't want Claire around Mia, I'm afraid that if she gets close to her Mia will just leave again and hurt my daughter. I can't stand to see Claire upset and I try to avoid it.