Ch2: Meeting the Owens

After my scalding hot shower, I had crawled into bed, trying to catch some sleep. The air in my room grew hot and unbearable. The walls felt as if they were closing in and a weight sat on top of my chest, making it hard to breathe. I tore the thick, soft blankets of my body in frustration. Stupid claustrophobia!

My feet swung over the edge of the bed as I sat up, pushing my sweaty hair out of my face while letting out a frustrated groan. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened in the woods. Just remembering the sound of that howl alone made my bones chill. And the sizes of that beast, forget about it! I knew it wasn't natural for a wolf to be that big.

I hopped off my bed, feet landing on the surprisingly cold hardwood floor. I made a kissy noise with my mouth, telling Zeus to follow me. My feet padded into the hallway, hand gliding over the smooth white railing surrounding the staircase. I came to the stairs, soft blanket in one hand and railing in other. I descended the plush carpeted stairs each one feeling like mini clouds on my bare, tired feet.

Downstairs was cool and refreshing compared to my room. As I turned right into the living room, my phone buzzed in the pocket of my pajama shorts. "What now?" I groaned like a small child. I plopped down on the couch, wriggling to make myself comfortable as I pulled out my phone to read a text from my Aunt Tessa.

"Hey, Hun! I'll be home around 5ish. We're having guests over tonight, so make sure the house is presentable. I love you and I'll see you soon!"

I smiled slightly, laughing at the part about the house being presentable. Aunt Tessa was a clean freak who loved to decorate. The house always looked nice and 'presentable'. Not worrying one bit, I put the phone down beside my makeshift pillow and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

"Belle, sweetheart, wake up! Belle!" A soft voice sang as I was gently rocked back and forth on the couch. "Are you feeling okay, Hun?" I opened my eyes to connect with a pair of large, concerned brown ones. Her long, wavy brown hair had been pulled back into a ponytail and her big dark brown eyes were honed in on me.

I rubbed my eyes, sleepily. "Huh?" I asked, still in a daze from my nap. Noticing it was my Aunt Tessa shaking me, I responded to her drowsily. "Oh, hey Aunt Tess! What time is it?" She giggled lightly while sitting next to me on the couch.

"It's five fifteen you lazy bum! Have you been sleeping all day?" She giggled again, her hand on my stomach and her eyes crinkling at the sides with a huge smile spread across her lips. Aunt Tessa always had a happy disposition about her.

"No," I defended, trying to sit up from my current position. " I woke up really early, then Zeus and I went for a run..." Crap, I had forgotten about that! Should I tell her? Will she think I'm crazy? She probably will, I mean even I think I'm a tad crazy! What wi-

"Hun, are you okay? You kinda zoned off for a sec there." Aunt Tessa said, becoming worried. I wasn't gonna stress her out more, the move was enough stress already. I'm not gonna tell her about it.

"I'm fine, just a little drowsy from my nap. I'll be okay, Aunt Tessa." I reassured her with a smile. I loved my Aunt. She was the one to take care of me after my dad died, and I had a feeling she would always be there for me. She looked at me with her worn, soft brown eyes, like my own.

"Well, alrighty. If you say so!" She got up, dusting off her blouse and jeans of imaginary dirt. " You might wanna get ready, Hun. We have guests coming over. They're old friends of mine so look nice!" She said while walking out of the room, turning around to wink at me during the last part of the sentence.

I swung my legs over the couch, shaking my head softly. Lord knows what she meant by that. I padded across the living room, my feet hurting from getting up so quickly, and climbed the stairs one by one. Well, here goes nothing!