Chapter 17 - Game

...

"Welcome, peasants! I see you have all gathered here now!" the unknown said.

"Luto...?!" Glave looked disgusted, although it was rather hard to tell with him.

The so-called Luto laughed bitterly, followed by a cough. Judging by his tone of voice, he seemed to be quite old. "Why yes, you insolent fool. You think you could've pulled off this forbidden visit? Think again. I knew from the start, Add."

Glave muttered something under his breath, but all I could hear was "Damn".

"Reveal yourself!" I demanded.

"I'm afraid I cannot and will not materialize here." he replied. "I shall remain intangible."

Add suddenly fell onto his knees, beginning to hack in a brutal manner once again.

"My, you poor child." Luto snickered. "Potentially, I might have a cure for him in possession."

"Then, what are you waiting for?!" I cried. "Hurry, and rescue him already!"

"Simply handing it to you would be boring. There will be a fee involved."

"And that is?" I asked impatiently.

"Entertain me! I'll organize a mirthful game for you all! A fun competition between the Yama Raja and the Diabolic Esper!"

"No. I refuse." Glave started. "I have absolutely no intention to save the other me's life. I will not participate in your stupid games for a bullsh** reason."

At that moment, I wanted to slap him for uttering such words.

Luto proposed an offer. "Very well. I shall give you a reason to, then. The Yama Raja desires the Mastermind, while the Diabolic Esper desires the Sakra Devanam. That is why you're here, is it not, Glave? You're only here in hopes of finding a way to reunite with your precious. How meaninglessly imprudent! I have returned the recollections of the other Ara; every single one of them. You must be overfilled with joy right now! However, if the Ruler of Darkness is the victor in this contest, then she shall receive the cure for Add, resulting in your Ara's memories to be removed once more, and for her existence to cease. If the Administrator of Henir's Time and Space is the victor, then he shall rejoin his beloved happily. As for the darker Ara, Add will die. Does that sound like a plan? If not, then that's quite unfortunate, because you have no choice but to oblige."

I was in complete shock, but as Luto said, I had no choice. I glanced at Glave, as we both nodded. We were now enemies, fighting for the people we love.

The old man tittered once more. "Wonderful!"

By now, Add had already passed out. A large bubble with an unpleasant, dark aura enclosed and secured him.

"For the duration of this competition, he will be imprisoned in that magic sphere I created. As long as he stays inside, the chances of him dying shall be reduced. It would be unfair if he died during the quarrel, no? But, I do not guarantee that he'll live. The probability is merely decimated, yes, however it still remains."

Again, both Glave and I nodded.

The atmosphere began to change in front of our very eyes. The Nasod machinery in Add's laboratory vanished into thin air, leaving a humongous space for whatever Luto planned.

"I have decided. The method of settling this dispute will be a one on one battle. As for boundaries, you must remain inside this hideout. Other than that, there are no rules. Combat to the best of your abilities, and use any means to achieve victory!"

For Add's sake and well-being, I had to win, no matter what.

...

---[CHAPTER 17 - GAME : END]---