Chapter 4

Ashton

I put my keys in the door and entered my apartment, holding the door open for Luke as he went inside.

"You can have my bed if you like," I offered. 

"Nah it's your apartment, I'm all good with the couch. It's a way better alternative than my original plan earlier tonight." 

"If you're sure," I shut the door behind me and showed him around my apartment, "Kitchen's right there, the toilet is behind that very end door, the bathroom is to the right of that and my room is opposite the bathroom if you need anything." 

"Alright, thanks Ashton."

"All good. Do you need pyjamas? It can't possibly be comfortable sleeping in skinny jeans."

"Nah, I sleep naked." He said. I hope he was joking.

"So glad I found that out after offering you my bed." 

"I'm kidding. Do you mind if I borrow some sweat pants or something?"

"Sure thing, I'll go get some." 

I spent ages searching through my drawers to find a pair of pants that he could borrow; A clean pair. In the end I settled for the sniff test. 

"These will have to do I guess," I mumbled to myself.

"How are these?" I asked, throwing them to him.

"Great. Thanks Ashton."

"No problem, anything else?" I offered. 

"Nah, that should be all good." 

"Alright. I'm going to head to bed. If you need water or anything feel free to help yourself. I think there's an unopened pack of toothbrushes in the cabinet under the bathroom sink, you can have one if you want. I think that should be it. Night Luke." 

"Night Ashton, and seriously, thank you so much," He responded. I just gave a sleepy smile in response. 

Despite my exhaustion, my mind was too active for me to fall asleep. I'm not sure what point I even managed to get to sleep just that the time before went like this: my eyes would periodically stare at my ceiling fan or the red numbers that illuminated my bedside table but my mind was fixated on Luke. Especially his eyes. 
Personally, I had always felt that the whole fixation on eyes trope was overused and given a greater significance than it held in reality. I'd read a lot of passages through the perspective of a lover describing someone's eyes but I'd never given much thought to the eyes of anyone I'd ever actually dated. Of course I noticed them and loved their eyes, but I never had any mental monologues about them. Somehow, here I was just completely incapable of taking my mind off Luke's eyes. This light blue that held so much brightness, with this look that was so unscathed by life. Not in the kind of way that made me think he'd had no real experiences, but in a way that felt so refreshing. They were soft and sometimes even sympathetic. They were not like the ocean and they were not like the sky, more like a Larimar stone. Peaceful. 

Michael and Calum had mentioned Luke for years, about how great we'd be together and I'm trying to convince myself that how I feel is likely caused by that idea they'd planted in my head for so long. I still can't stop feeling...something. Not particularly a crush, or in love. Nothing that intense. There's just something there, as tiny as it is, it still exists. I hadn't even properly met Luke today besides a run in a few years ago when he was being teased for these fluro green sunglasses he was wearing and I had stepped in. The glasses were pretty rad in his defence. 

I had only met Luke's eyes today and yet here I was, giving a mental monologue on them.