xx. AZULVER AZULVER!

I didn’t go back the next day. Or the day after. It took me three whole days to muster the courage to return to class. I wasn’t exactly eager to face everyone again… especially Aurora. Turns out she wasn't expelled, and instead has been referred for therapy. Arceus knows how she's going to take that.

But after some persistent convincing from Aramis and Azule (The shiny lugia, remember, she visited often), I finally found myself standing outside the math classroom, ready for my first lesson in three months.

Here goes nothing.

Slowly, I pulled the door open and stepped inside. The room fell silent as all twenty nine students turned to stare at me. I stood there awkwardly, waiting for directions, feeling like a deer caught in headlights - for your information, it's not fun.

Finally, Mr. Corvik spoke up.

“Silver! Welcome back. Feeling well enough to join us?”

I just nodded.

“There’s a lot to catch up on, so let’s sit you over… there.” He pointed to the seat next to Cynder, and I breathed a sigh of relief. At least I didn’t have to face Aurora ... yet.

“Cynder, why don’t you catch Silver up on what we’ve been doing these past few months? You’ve got the whole lesson.” Cynder eagerly nodded, and he was grinning madly. Part of me was ecstatic, but another part didn't want the prying questions ...

“Oh, and Silver? There’s a test coming up soon, so you’ll need to revise extra hard to catch up. No special treatment for your wing!” Mr. Corvik chuckled, but the rest of the class had already zeroed in on my wing. Though painted to look natural, it was clear to anyone who squinted that it was artificial.

Sweet. Great, Arceus. Just what I needed—more attention.

Trying to ignore the stares, I took my seat next to Cynder, who immediately wrapped me in a bone-crushing hug.

“SILVER!” he cried excitedly.

“Ugh—Cynder, let go! It still… aches!” I spluttered, my voice muffled by his feathers. He quickly let go.

“Oh, I'm sorry! I’m just so happy you’re back!”

“Yeah, thanks. What’s this sign?” I pointed to a symbol on his paper.

“It means ‘equal to or greater than,’ but Silver, you’re not really going to do maths right now, are you?”

“I have to catch up.” I scowled at him, slightly annoyed. Did he understand that I didn't want to talk about this now?

“Then catch up later. We have the whole lesson to talk and no one will stop us!” I grunted something inaudible in response, not really wanting to explain that I wasn’t in the mood to chat.

“Oh, Silver, we were so worried! We kept trying to visit you, but you were always asleep! And I’m sorry about your wing—”

I stiffened, really really not wanting to go there. “It’s fine, Cynder.”

“Is it feeling more natural now? What does it feel like? Is it noticeable?”

To avoid his prying questions, I turned to look at the wall. “Hey, don’t ignore me! What are you looking at?” He tried to peer over my shoulder, then smirked. “Ohhh, I know. It’s Azule, isn’t it?”

I spun around sharply. “What about her?”

“You’re staring at her. That’s why you’re not listening to me!”

“No, I’m not! Just teach me the maths, please.”

“You’re blushing!” he teased in a sing-song voice.

“I am not!” My face was probably red from frustration, not embarrassment.

“AZULVER!” he yelled, drawing the attention of the entire class.

“Would you shut up!” I seethed at him, then turned to Mr. Corvik, who had been watching us.

I spoke with a deliberate glare from the corner of my eyes. “Please can I move?"

Mr. Corvik nodded. “Yes, of course. Go sit next to Aramis.”

I stormed off without a second glance back at Cynder.

Aramis understood that I didn’t want to talk about it. Cynder didn’t.

***

After the lesson, Cynder approached me again. “Silver, I’m sorry. Can you please forgive me?”

“Save it,” I growled. “I don’t want to hear it.”

“But, Silver, please, you have to see this from my perspective—”

“I don't want to hear it!" I yelled and ran off to my dormitory. I don't want to hear that he's right! I don't want to go back to school! I don't want to LIVE with this thing for the rest of my life!

I wasn’t ready for all this. It was too much, too soon. Curling up on my bed, I decided to sleep it off.

Maybe things would look better tomorrow... Or maybe not.