Chapter 13

C.P.O.V

"Jace?" I gasped, in not only surprise but wonder. "We have to get you out of here." "Jace, I didn't expect you to come ALONE. Where are the police?" "We beat them here." "We?" "Your mom and Luke." "Jace, you have to get out of here, Valentine is insane and will-" our conversation was cut short by my door handle jiggling. I shot Jace a terrified look, but he was already quietly slipping underneath my bed. Valentine came in. "What are you doing up" Valentine demanded. "I was thirsty" I replied calmly. I realized this was the first time Jace was hearing him talk in-person. Valentine  walked over to my bed. A bead of sweat rolled down my back. He leaned in, staring blankly at me with his almost black eyes. And with that, he walked away and out of my room. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. "Ok, let's get you out of here." I nodded in agreement, getting out of my bed as quietly as possible. I hugged Jace quickly, as if I was reassuring myself that he was actually here and this wasn't a dream. I was getting out of this house for the second time. And I wouldn't come back. Now with a fierce new feeling of determination, I carefully moved a stool to position myself so I could climb out of the window. I was climbing out when I heard the door knob move for the second time. I froze in fear. Sebastian was walking into the room, when Jace knocked him out with a simple punch. I widened my eyes in surprise. Jace shrugged. "I've been taking karate for a while." I decided I would ask about it later. I continued my way out of the room through the window when I felt someone grab my legs. It was Hodge. I fell to the ground with a shriek. Hodge pulled my hands behind my back and forced my chin up. I saw Valentine holding Jace, with a gun in his hand. I stifled a sob. "Don't hurt him." Valentine smirked. "I knew he" Valentine said while gesturing to Jace "would come sooner or later." "When I came in I heard him under the bed" he continued. How could he. I couldn't even hear Jace and I was right on top of him. Hodge forced me to stand up, but I fell down due to the sudden pain in my ankle. Although it seems like he had lost his empathy a long time ago, because he pulled me up again. I limped over to Jace and Valentine, with stars dancing in my eyes, threatening to engulf my vision. They forced Jace and I onto the floor where they tied ours hands and feet together. I attempted to find Jace in my mostly black vision, but Valentine separated us. "Pathetic little girl" he spat, raking his hands through his blonde hair. Hodge left the room, while Valentine stayed, rambling on about what he still had to teach me. "You can never disobey me. Us Morgensten's are the only 'true' humans left. We have to stick together." Wow. Valentine was definitely insane. "You're crazy." He swung his foot back, and kicked. Not hard. But I knew this was a warning shot. "Stop" Jace said. Valentine's eyes glinted and he strode over to where he had placed Jace. "No!" I screamed. "Don't hurt him." Valentine ignored me, and punched Jace in the face. "Boy" he said "don't you know how your parents died?" "They were killed in a car crash" he replied simply and matter of factly. "Wrong." "Right. I was in the car with them." "Do you actually remember that or is that what everyone else told you?" Valentine inquired. For a moment, Jace looked confused. "Who would tell me that if it wasn't true." "I don't know. Maybe the Texas Police at the time?" A look of anger and frustration passed his face. "Tell me what happened." Valentine wagged his finger in front of Jace's face. "You're not ready for it yet, son." "Stop calling me that" Jace demanded. Valentine shook his head, checked the rope around our hands, and left. When the door shut and I heard him walking away, I turned to Jace. "We have to get out of here." "I know Red, but how?" I looked around my room for anything that could possibly cut zip ties. Then I remembered something that could do exactly that. I scooted over to my closet, and I was lucky because the door was already open. I found the box I was looking for, and opened it by turning around and using my hands to flip it open. I found the scissors I had took from My 3rd grade classroom because Valentine wouldn't buy me scissors to work on arts and crafts. He even thought coloring books were outrageous. I cut my zip ties to my hands and then my feet. I walked over to Jace and did the same for him. I was surprised when he kissed me, first on my forehead and then on the lips. "I love you" he said simply, but it was so much more meaningful than anything else he could of said. He rubbed his wrists, where there were marks from trying to twist out of the restraints. Our foreheads touched. "Let's get out of here" Jace said. Almost a second after the words came out of his mouth, I heard a siren and the screech of a megaphone turning on. "This is the police, come out with your hands up, Valentine Morgensten, Hodge Starkweather, and Sebastian Verlac". Nobody moved. Then Valentine marched into our room, grabbed me and Jace, and pulled us into the main room of the small house. He had a gun, that was clear to the police. Jace and I glanced at each other, nodding. We both knew what to do. We had learned this at a seminar after Valentine had contacted us through Sebastian. Simultaneously, we elbowed Valentine in the stomach, and ran. I didn't look back, but I heard Valentine fall over. We ran to the front door, but not until I heard gunshots, and then felt one. Jace and I both fell to the ground, looking blankly at each other. I looked down and saw blood through my shirt. I then glanced over at Jace to find him with his eyes closed, and blood stains in his pant leg and his chest. That was the last thing I remembered before the police rushed through the entrance to the house and took  all three of my captors before calling ambulances for Jace and I.