Chapter 14

Ryder, Rocky, and Skye had finally left for the library, leaving the rest of the pups back at the house. The pups tried to make something up so Katie and Carlos won't know exactly why they went to the library.

"We gotta make something up. We can't tell them," Chase brought.

"Yeah, but like what?" Marshall asked.

"What if we just tell them that they went to the store or something," Rubble answered.

"Hmm, that might work. If only they would come back, bringing some stuff that would look like something they bought from the store," Zuma replied.

"Or what if we just tell them they went to the Library?" Liberty suggested directly.

"But that's exactly where they're going!" Chase responded.

"Well, what would anyone think of when visiting a library? Read and borrow books, right?" Liberty reasoned.

"Yeah. No one will think they're searching for some public documents online in a library," Tracker added.

"You got a point there," Marshall agreed.

"And besides, we don't need to lie. Because they REALLY DID go to a library," Zuma nodded.

"Alright, I'm with you all... Let's just say they went to a library," 

Finally, they heard Carlos and Katie coming and all the pups stopped talking. When the two found the pups, all huddled together, they asked where Ryder went.

"Hey, Pups! Have any of you seen Ryder?" Katie asked.

"Uhm, yeah... He took Rocky and Skye to the library," Liberty answered, while the rest of the pups went silent.

"Oh, okay... Left without saying anything, huh? He didn't even leave a note?" Carlos questioned.

The pups all looked at each other with weird faces.

"Uh, I didn't see any, so maybe he forgot to leave a note," Rubble answered.

"Uhm, Okay... I'll just ring him later," Carlos faced back at Katie. She nodded in agreement.

"I'm... gonna go play with the Junior Patrollers. See ya!" Marshall said as he skedaddled off.

They all watched him as he walked away nervously. But before he could get any further, he crashed into a large vase due to still staring at the pups while walking.

CRACK!

"Oof!" Marshall loses his balance and falls to the floor.

The vase kept tilting after bumping into it. Luckily, Carlos and Katie rushed to catch it and put it back standing before it could fall and break.

"Phew, close call..." Katie sighed in relief, "You okay, Marshall?"

"Whoa... All I see is a sky full of stars," Marshall said, as he felt dizzy and his vision kept spinning.

He shook his head and found his vision clear again and not spinning anymore.

"I'm good," Marshall chuckled. Everyone laughed as well.

Meanwhile, Ryder, Rocky, and Skye were searching online using public computers in the library.

"Find anything, Rocky?" Ryder asked.

"I think so... I found here a list of Mr. Bennett's siblings. She is nowhere on the list,"

"Well, I guess that means he's not my uncle, huh?" Ryder concluded.

"Yup! How about you, Skye?"

There was no reply. Ryder and Rocky stared at Skye, who wasn't focusing on the computer. Instead, she was busy reading a book.