Dashes When Writing

So you're writing your story and come across a POV change. How do you make sure people know without writing "Magnus POV" and making people think you're an amateur? Or what if you don't want to write about the next fifteen hours and need a time skip? Do you really want to write *time skip* and hope it doesn't look stupid? What to do???

I use... dashes!

It's a system where the amount of dashes changes regardless of what type of change it is.

--- (3 dashes) means super short time skip (less than an hour)

----- (5 dashes) means time skip

------- (7 dashes) means POV change

--------- (9 dashes) means the change doesn't fall into either of the previous categories

So now you thought "hey, maybe that system isn't trash..?" but realize that you don't want to count out 9 dashes every time. What if you mess up?

Well, what if I tell you there's an easier way than going "one two three.... eight nine"?

Listen, counting like that isn't hard for three dashes, but stuff gets more difficult the more tiny dashes there are. 

5 dashes can be counted "one two three      one two"

7 dashes can be counted "one two three     one two three     one"

9 dashes can be counted "one two three     one two three     one two three"

Thank you! Comment and vote if this worked for you!