Chapter 22: Mary's birthday (to be continued)

Mary's POV

Our little group walks around the carnival to see what rides and games there are. "Let's go on the Tilt O' whirl!" Darren exclaims. Before Gavin and I can give an answer, Michelle and Darren are already in line. "Well okay then..." I laugh. Gavin doesn't laugh with me which makes me feel really awkward... So awkward that I let go of his hand and join Darren and Michelle in line.

I watch Gavin give me an evil look, and I motion him over to us and he shakes his head. Now he is headed towards the cotton candy stand.. oh. He's talking to his ex. Amy.

"Hey... why did you leave Gavin standing over there by himself?" Darren asks.

I look over and see him flirting with Amy, the cotton candy cashier and I roll my eyes. "I don't know... he is just really quiet..." I trail off, when I notice that HIS HAND JUST CARESSED HER ASS!

"Did you..." I start.

"Yep." They both say at the same time.

"What an asshole..." I say.

Gavin notices that all of us are staring at him and he grabs Amy's hand and brings her over here. "Hey, Mary... look I'm sorry that I am doing this on your birthday... but the truth is that you were my back up date because I didn't know if Amy was gonna be able to make it tonight. We decided we were gonna meet here and discuss our breakup... we also planned on getting back together and now we have... I'm so sorry." He leans in to kiss me, and I punch him in the jaw.

"You're an ass!" I shout at him before storming off. I look back at him and see him holding his face... I don't feel bad one bit!

Darren and Michelle both embrace me in a warm group hug. "I'm sorry, Mar." Darren says sincerely. "Yeah me too." Michelle adds. "Thanks guys." I smile. "I'm glad I have friends like you." They tighten the hug and as loved as I feel, I can't breath. "Guys." "Oh, sorry!" They both say. "Haha... it's okay."

"Hey guys.. go on and play some games... I'll catch up in about 5 minutes." I smile.

"Wait why?" Michelle asks.

"Because... I just want to think..."

"We'll be back in five." Michelle assures me. I smile and nod as they walk away. I sit down on a bench near the corn dogs. 'Finally, some time alone' I think to myself.

"Hey, Mary!"

Damn.

"Hi, Ross." I smile.

Ross is one of my best friends... We talk all the time in class and sometimes we hang out after school at the ice cream shop.

"How are you doing? Why are you here all by yourself?" He asks.

"It's a little embarrassing..."

He laughs and puts his arm around me... In a friendly way. "I'm all for embarrassing! Go for it."

"Well I've liked Gavin for a while.."

Ross nudges me and I playfully punch his arm. "Well anyways, he finally asked me out..."

"Ooh!"

"Ross!" I scold him, laughing.

He laughs along with me. "Sorry, sorry. Go on..."

"And he took me here as a date... at first he was acting all sweet...and then.."

"Oh! Did he dump you for Amy?!"

I put my finger over his lip. "You're being loud." I giggle.

"SORRY!" He yells, to purposely embarrass me.

We both laugh our pants off and I finish my story. "So now... I'm left dateless on my eighteenth birthday..." I sigh.

"Oh! It is your birthday! YOU TOLD ME IN CALCULUS!"

Ross' behavior makes me burst into laughter sometimes. Like right now. He is the funniest guy I have ever met.

"Hahahaha! Ross you're so weird!"

"So about that date thing.. I can help you with that." He smirks.

"What?"

He kneels down on one knee.

"Mary... will you please do yourself a favor and go on a date with me so you don't embarrass yourself on your birthday?" He asks in a deep voice.

"Yes!" I play along.

"SHE SAID YES!" He shouts, picking me up and carrying me bridal style. We both laugh as he carries me over to the funnel cake stand.

"What are we doing?" I ask.

"Getting food! I'm hungry!"

I laugh at his fatty self while he orders a funnel cake. He puts the powdered sugar on it and leads me over to a bench.

"Want some?" He asks, stuffing his face.

"Sure. Why not?" I accept his offer, and start stuffing my face.

"We make such a cute couple." He teases.

I lightly tap his arm and he pulls out his phone.

"Selfie!" I look at the camera and stick out my tongue. Ross licks his lips which looks hilarious. "I'm posting this on Instagram!" He giggles.

I'm actually really glad to be here with Ross... I guess things worked out better that way.

After we are done eating, Ross throws his plate away and grabs my hand.

"Where are we going now?"

"The roller coaster!" He squeals like a teenage girl.

"YES!"

He smiles at me and we both run, hand in hand, to the roller coaster. In line we see Darren and Michelle. OH.... oops.

"Hey!" Michelle calls to me. "We have been looking for you for twenty minutes! ...Hi Ross! What are ya doing here?"

Both Ross and I look at each other and laugh. "Well you see... I couldn't let Mary be all depressed and alone on her birthday so I suggested that I would be her date!"

Michelle looks at the both of us and smirks. "You guys should date."

Wow... way to make things awkward.

"OMG! YES!" He fangirls.

"Oh Ross..." All three of us say.

...

It's been 2 hours and we have been on six different rides and had three different foods! Nothing could ruin this awesome day spent with my best friends.

"Hey, Mary!" Michael calls to me.

Except for that...

~ To be continued ~