21

Michael's POV

I stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, buttoning the last few buttons on my shirt.

Today was the day we went to court. It had been 4 days since I had seen Arden. We tried to get her social worker to allow us to see her but she refused due to the order of child care services.

I ran a hand through my newly dyed red hair that I had just done. I needed a change and this was it. I was dressed in my usual black skinny jeans and converse but I was wearing a short sleeved, black button up.

I walked out into the living room where Luke was sitting, watching football. We made small talk regarding the game until Calum and Ashton came in, "Ready to go?" Ash asked.

We nodded and headed out to the car. I sat in the back with Luke while Ashton drove and Calum sat in the passenger seat.

We started our journey to the courthouse and Calum put the radio on to fill the silence. I stared out the window and my knee was bouncing up and down due to my nerves.

Luke put a hand on my knee, "Michael it's going to be ok." He said.

I looked at him and gave him a slight smile and nod. Ash looked at me through the rest view, "Honestly Michael, I don't think they will take Arden away from her brother to put her back in a foster home," he says.

"But that's exactly what they did," I tell him.

"Yeah, CPS because they have no feelings and they have to follow a certain system. This time you are going in front of a judge. They will most likely ask Arden what she wants to do as well," he argues.

My heartbeat quickens at the thought of seeing her. I missed her so much. I had been so worried, not knowing if she was ok or anything that was happening to her.

However, doubts quickly filled me, "Do you think she'll be mad at me?" I ask quietly.

"Arden?" Calum asks confused, turning to look at me.

I nod and look down at my hands.

"No, why would she be?" He questions.

"Because I'm the one who is supposed to protect her. They took her and I couldn't do anything about it. Did you see her face? She was so scared. So scared and it kills me that I couldn't make her feel safe," I say and shake my head. My eyes filled with tears but I refused to let them fall.

"Mikey... She knows you would do anything in your power to protect her. I mean, we all know and we all saw it. Arden knows that you love her so much. Try not to beat yourself up over it ok? We are going to get her back today," Ashton assures me.

I nod and realize that we had arrived at the courthouse. Ashton pulled into a parking space and we got out.

All four of us headed inside where we met up with the lawyer that management provided for us.

He went over basically what we needed to say which consisted of explaining how I was told that she was adopted and I was never given information on checkups

"The good thing is, most of the facts will speak for themselves. I wouldn't be too worried, it's 4pm and this judge has had a long day. He is very nice but he will want to keep this short and sweet," he explained to me.

I nodded and all of us waited in uncomfortable chairs for about 15 minutes until we were required to go through a security check.

After that we were cleared to go wait outside the courtroom that my case would be held in. Child Services would be entering through another door so I didn't see them or Arden, much to my disappointment.

When we were finally let in, a very sophisticated man led us into the room. He directed my lawyer and I to sit at one table and the boys to sit behind us. I looked over to see the man and woman who took Arden sitting at the other table.

We all stood to take an oath, stating that we would tell the truth. Then the judge signaled for the case to begin.

Child Services were to make their case first, "You see, Michael Gordon Clifford failed to be present for the mandatory checkups...."

They took forever to make their case and the judge looks so incredibly bored. After they finished he turned to me, "Well your honor, when I took my little sister into my care I was told that she had been legally adopted by me. I was never told by Child Protective Services that I was to be present for any check ups or that she was only a foster child in my care."

The judge nodded and turned to those representing Child Services, "There are papers that CPS must have the guardian sign once they have been informed about the foster care program. Do you have those?"

"No sir. There are no records of them," the woman responded.

"Well. We cannot go back in time to fix that. How long has she been in your care Mr. Clifford?"

"For almost 2 months sir," I informed him.

"And she is your biological sister?" The judge asked me and I confirmed.

"I would like to know why we are taking a child away from her biological family to be put BACK into foster care. Isn't the point to get them out of foster care? And what better care could she get into than the one of her biological brother?" The judge questions Child Services.

"Sir. He didn't not attend the necessary check ups," the woman argued once again.

"Yes. We have established that. We have also established that this was CPS's mistake, correct?"

"Bu-"

The judge cut her off, "Was the child being taken care of?"

"There was no evidence to prove otherwise," she informed him.

"Then if the child is happy, she should be in the care of her brother," he stated.

I smiled and felt my heart swell, "Sir. We don't know if she was happy with him," the woman stated.

"Well bring her in," the judge ordered.

A man opened a door in the back of the courtroom and stepped out. When he returned, he was guiding Arden inside. She looked around and made eye contact with me.

A huge smile grew on her face as she ran to me. I couldn't stop the grin on my face as well or the tears in my eyes. I opened my arms as she neared me and she gave me the biggest hug.

I wrapped my arms so tightly around her, not wanting to ever let her go. I heard her sniffle, "I missed you so much Mikey."

I laughed a breathless laugh as I felt a tear fall down my face, "Princess you have no idea how much I missed you."

"May I ask Arden a few questions?" The judge asked politely. Arden nodded and the nice man that brought her in gently grabbed her hand and led her in front of the judge.

I wiped my eyes and watched as the judge had to lean over the stand to see her tiny frame, "Hello Ms. Arden," he greeted.

"Hello," she greeted softly.

"I wanted to ask, do you love your older brother?" He questioned.

She nodded frantically, "A lot."

I smiled at her answer and blushed slightly, "Do you like living with him?"

"Yes sir. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else." She told him sweetly.

He smiled at her and thanked her, "This case is closed. Michael Clifford is granted full custody of Arden Sophia. And THIS time not as a foster child, but as a legally adopted child," he smiled at me.

I laughed, my fears now gone and only complete happiness and relief filling me. The man who brought Arden in held her back until I signed the ACTUAL adoption papers. Once I finished and shook the judge's hand, the man released her.

She ran straight to my arms and I dropped my knees to hug her, "I love you so much baby. I promised I would come get you. No one will ever take you away again," I cried tears of joy while hugging her.

I pulled back slightly and held her face in my hands. I couldn't help but take in her beautiful eyes. I looked and noticed she was wearing my necklace still, "I never took it off. They tried to take it away from me but I wouldn't let them," she tells me.

She looks into my eyes with her watery ones, "Mikey I love you so much. Thank you for protecting me and getting me back. I was really scared because they put me into a home with all these other kids and they didn't tell me when I could see you and-and-" she started to get worked up.

"Shhhh. I'm here now baby ok? That will never ever happen again," I tell her and kiss her forehead. She wraps her arms around my neck and I pick her up.

I make my way to the boys who practically tackle the two of us into a group hug. They were all teary eyed, "Arden, I'm so happy we have you back baby. We love you so much," Calum says.

She smiles, her head laying on my shoulder, "I love you guys."

We all thank the lawyer who supported us and made our way out, "So I say... We celebrate with pizza, FIFA, and movies," Luke laughs.

We all agree. I was dead tired and I just wanted to be close to Arden. I had barely slept the past four days not knowing where she was.

All 5 of us got into the car the same way as before but this time Arden sat in between Luke and I.

Arden leaned into my side and I put my arm around her. Her eyes looked heavy, "Are you tired baby girl?" I ask her softly.

She nodded, "I couldn't sleep good without you. My nightmares came back the night I left."

Calum aw'ed loudly and I kissed Arden's forehead, "I'm sorry sweetie. You can sleep if you want to," I tell her.

She shakes her head but remains quiet. We arrive at the house and I carry her inside. All of us decide to change into more comfortable clothes. I carry Arden to my room where I had put her suitcases. We did our tour laundry the day we got back so we could get it out of the way. I pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a Sleeping With Sirens t-shirt I bought her. She changed into them while I went into my bathroom and changed into my sweatpants and a random tank.

I walked out of the bathroom to see Arden curled up on top of my bed, her fingers playing with my comforter. I ran and jumped on my bed, attacking her face with kisses.

She giggled and tried to cover her face with her little hands. I laughed as well, "I missed you so much," I tell her with a smile.

"I missed you too," she returns the smile.

"What happened while you were gone? Where did you go? What did you do? I was begging your social worker for answers but she refused to answer and refused to let me see you," I say.

"They took me to this lady's house who had a bunch of foster kids. They were all so loud and the lady like couldn't pay attention to all the kids because there were so many. I cried a couple of times," she blushed, "Especially at night. I wanted to be with you. Plus I kept having nightmares and there was nobody there I could go to," she tells me softly.

It was then that I noticed the bags under her eyes. She was exhausted, "I'm so so sorry. I was a wreck without you Princess. I'm so happy I have you back. I'm here now. I'll protect you baby ok?" I tell her softly.

Her eyes get teary and she nods, "Awww baby girl. What's wrong?" I ask while sitting up, putting my legs in a criss-crossed position and pulling her into my arms.

She shakes her head, "Nothing. I'm just really happy that I could come back with you," she says.

I wrap my arms around her tightly and kiss her head, rocking her back and forth in my arms slightly.

I close my eyes and lean my head on hers for a few seconds before I open them again, "Let's go watch movies ok?"

She agrees and I pick her up and head to the living room, "I really like your hair by the way," she smiles.

"Thank you! I guess we will have to change your purple strip huh?" I laugh.

She nods and I tell her I would do it for her in the morning. We sat on the couch by the other boys as they went through the movies, "I say we watch.... Nemo!" Ash says.

"Really?" Arden asks with a smile and all the boys agree.

"Yay! Thank you!" She says.

Pizza came when the movie started and we all ate it pretty quickly. It was about halfway through the movie when I noticed Arden's eyes drooping but she was fighting them.

"Arden, go to sleep baby. You're tired," I tell her but she shakes her head.

"Why don't you want to sleep?" I ask her.

She sits up and looks at me in the eyes, "Will.... Will you be there when I wake up?"

I furrow my eyebrows, "Of course baby," I run a hand through her hair, "And when I'm ready to go to sleep, I'll just carry you into my room with me, yeah?" I tell her.

She nods. I take one of the pillows in our living room and place it on my lap. I pat it, motioning for her to lie down and she does. She lies her head down and Ash reaches over to cover her with a blanket.

I play with her hair and I nearly laugh when I hear her deep breaths, indicating she was asleep, in just a few minutes.

I tell the boys they can change it and they put their FIFA came in.

I watch them play for a few hours just enjoying their company. I felt myself starting to fall asleep. Ash had already gone off to bed and it was just Calum and Luke playing now. I tell them that I'm going to go to bed and they tell me goodnight.

I bring Arden into my arms and lift her as I stand up. I walk to my room and struggle to peel back my covers but finally get it. I place Arden in the bed and climb in next to her. Drifting off to sleep, happy to have my baby girl home.  

A/N

Thoughts? :)