Chapter 6: The New Start

After what felt like hours of shopping for food and clothes, Hijikata and Gintoki finally arrived home, to their shared sanctuary. The earlier encounter still weighs heavily on Gintoki's mind. He never imagined someone would view him as a rival, especially someone respected by Hijikata. Was their bond so strong that others perceived them as a couple? Perhaps they were, but Hijikata is not an omega. Oh. Every alpha has a destined partner, and inevitably, the day will come when he must leave Hijikata alone.

Oh, he would hate that. 

Gintoki rubs his face aggressively, he grunts out loud which scares the male in front of him. Hijikata quickly brings the wet foods and organizes them inside the fridge because Gintoki never did and he never knows how to do it. He was still crouching down when Gintoki approached him. Hijikata's eyes lift, a small "what" escaping his lips. Gintoki crouches beside him, hiding his face in his arm."I still don't feel good about earlier," Gintoki admits. Hijikata sighs and close the fridge before sitting down across to Gintoki, "Was it because you accused him and it might make you look bad?" Hijikata lets out a small giggle. Gintoki stares at him, "No, but something-" "Hey, nothing wrong with him, okay? I have been working with him for 2 years and he has been a great leader. He solves lots of those famous crimes." Hijikata proudly said. Having worked under the same leader, he couldn't help but admire the dedication that defined their leader. 

"I don't know. What was his name?" Gintoki sighs and drop his eyes down to the clean ground again.  It is weird for two grown-up men to sit on the floor especially right in front of the fridge in the middle of the kitchen room. Hijikata had to think for a while before answering, " We called him Chief Tanaka. Why?" Gintoki nodded and stood up. "Nothing." He said it with a sigh again. Before he leaves the kitchen, he pats twice on Hijikata's head. 

It caught Hijikata off-guard. Were they always this open with each other? This thought left reddened cheeks on Hijikata's face. What Hijikata feels right now is weird for him. After a week of spending time with Gintoki, Hijikata felt more and more comfortable around the latter. He wasn't used to physical touch before but with Gintoki, he sure did. He was picky about his food choices before, and again with Gintoki, he tried a lot of foods that he was sure were not his taste. And surprisingly, Gintoki knows his tastebuds more than himself. Chicken rice with mayonnaise? That's my favorite. No. Everything with mayonnaise is my favorite. 

And, Hijikata is still on the floor stuck with his thoughts full of food. That is before the door rings. He was distracted as he stared at the door, he heard Gintoki rush to the door but not before glancing at Hijikata who was preparing to hide under the table. 

But upon recognizing the visitor through the doorbell camera, Gintoki slaps his face, grunting at his foolish mistake. He returns to the kitchen and helps Hijikata to his feet. "I'm sorry, but my friends are coming over tonight. I might have forgotten to tell you first."Gintoki's expression is painted with guilt. Hijikata's eyes widen, and he lets out a quick sigh before pulling away from Gintoki. "Oh, that's good. I thought someone else might have come." Gintoki's smile was filled with regret, "Yeah...I'm sorry. Then, do you want to meet them?" Gintoki examines his facial expression but the latter shows none of it. He wasn't surprised nor did he seems happy. He continues, "... or you can stay in my room?" 

Hijikata reluctantly leaves, gesturing toward the door. The ring bells rang again but these times continuously as the people waiting outside were quite impatient. Gintoki's gaze lingers upon Hijikata, ascending the stairs like a silent guardian.

He turns toward the door, stomping with frustration. "Damn it! I'm coming." As he swings the door open, he is enveloped in a hug by a younger-looking girl, a 19-year-old Kagura. Her beauty surpasses the usual standards, radiating the same allure as her mother, a renowned model from 1990. "Gin-san!" Gintoki has never gotten mad before, which is probably why he immediately dropped his anger and returned the hug. Another young male joins in, embracing him in the same manner as Kagura. "I just can't bring myself to hate you guys," he admits, his heart softening in their embrace.