Chilly Morning

Reader's POV:

Jeonghan has been having recurring nightmares since the day they reached the orphanage. Everyone thought that it must be a phase. Either the building or the accident must have triggered it and it will be gone in a few days. But it's been a week and those who share a camp with him - Taehyung, Taeyong, and Yuta, have been suffering from his sobs and screams every night.

They reached the camp five days ago. The camping is yet to start because two college troops haven't reached the grounds. Due to a storm in Busan province, they failed to be on time so the camping management decided to re-schedule the camp, delaying it by a week. 

The camping groups were made according to their activities of interest and to create new bonds. At the same time, they didn't want to make anyone feel like an outcast, so they decided to pair up students from the same college and fit them into a camp with a pair from a different college. Taehyung and Jeonghan belonged to Sevong High while Yuta and Taeyong came from NCT College.

Jeonghan would wake up drenched in sweat and with a sore throat every morning. He would always watch a snippet of his childhood with Jihoon and Jisoo, followed by the same nightmare of a fire. He would always see himself dying in front of a truck in the middle of the road. It's been bothering him lately and he failed to focus on anything else.

"Are you still thinking about your nightmares?" Taehyung sat beside the male who yet again woke up with tear stains. He passed him a bottle of water while leaning slightly towards him to provide enough comfort. 

Jeonghan smiled and shook his head 'no'. He took the bottle and gulped down the water. Since day one, Taehyung has been nothing but considerate. Jeonghan has never disturbed his sleep or caused him to feel burdened. On the contrary, he has been taking care of him just like Choel would if he had been allowed to stay in the same camp.

"Thank you so much, Tae. I am really grateful you are here with me." Jeonghan sincerely delivered which caused Taehyung to flash his boxy smile. It was early in the morning. The sun was yet to rise.

"Let's go out for a walk. The fresh breeze might be able to help you." Taehyung suggested to which Jeonghan agreed. He took his hoodie from his bag and wore it over his thin shirt. Taehyung put on his track sweater and they left the camp. 

The camp area was a cleared portion of an abandoned jungle. There is no wildlife except for a few squirrels and rodents. No harmful beasts reside in this forest. Thus, it was safe to travel alone or go for a jog. 

There are five different clearings in the forest where the camps have been established for these four weeks. The clearing where Jeonghan resides belongs to art students. The area for Choel is dedicated to dancing. Jihoon is a part of music production and Wonwoo is a part of the writer's club. The fifth area is for the cooking club which is responsible for cooking for the entire camp as well.

~

Seungchoel was worried. He was again overthinking. The past events have been nothing but a mess. He can't help but try fitting the puzzle pieces together. The breakfast with Jeonghan's father then the discussion in the room and then the blast. All along, he dropped the clues that he was about to die. Then what is this mission?

Also, when the camp ends, there will be a grand ball at the hotel-looking mansion where they have to supply drugs. How are they going to order and collect the shipment so soon? The camp extension has occupied the week that they were supposed to look after the deal. 

Everything is turning out to be messier day by day. Is it what he meant by having a 'last meal in the house for a while?' Because he knew that the house would be gone with him. But why didn't he save himself? He was aware of the upcoming events, giving him enough time to run. Or hide. Or perhaps both.