Ch. 2: The Party

The Party

  "What?" I manage to get out after standing frozen for a long time.

  "I'm coming with you," Dugan says again, this time he sounds much closer. When I turn around he is only a few inches away from me. I didn't even hear him walk up behind me in my shocked state.

  "Why would you want to do that?" My voice comes out as a hoarse whisper.

  Dugan finally stops looking me straight in the eyes, which was starting to make me uncomfortable. He stares somewhere off into the distance above my head while he shrugs nonchalantly. "Why not?" he says when he looks back to me. "So where are we running to, Mr. Donovan?" The small smirk on Dugan's lips when he says this makes my brain stutter. I have never bothered to notice how beautiful Dugan is. The rest of his face always seemed hidden behind his smile to me. I never noticed the color of his eyes. I always thought they were hazel, but now that I'm this close I can see that they're actually green. I love green eyes because they always seemed so uncommon to me. Most people I knew all had blue or brown eyes. My whole family was cursed with a dull brown, I'm not even interesting enough to have blue eyes.

  I am snapped out of my thoughts by an actual snap. Dugan's fingers snapping in front of my face anyway. "Ethan, are you still with me? Am I boring you already? We haven't even left yet."

  I shake my head to clear my thoughts. Running away can really change a guy. Jeez, I didn't know it would happen so fast.

  "Are we doing this or what?" Dugan says breaking me out of my mind again. "You're not gonna chicken out are you?" He narrows his eyes at me, and suddenly I'm back in defiant mode.

  I hold my head high, school my features, and puff out my chest as I say, "I am not chickening out. That is not the Ethan Donovan way." Then I realize how stupid that sounded and deflate again. What the hell are you doing, Ethan? I mentally face palm myself.

  But when I look at Dugan he is just smiling at me, like always. "Your move, Mr. Donovan. What now?"

«*»

  I stand outside of the large house that me and Dugan just pulled up to and cringe. I can hear the music from the street, and the smell of beer has already permeated the air. And it's not even dark yet!

  "You know maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Let's just go home. Yes, home where it's nice and safe from drunk teenagers. That sounds nice." I try to reopen the passenger door of Dugan's car, but the click of the locks engaging stops me.

  "Come on, Ethan. This was your idea. You have to go through with it now." Dugan grabs me by the shoulders and tugs me away from the car, which I was so desperately holding onto, and spins me around to face the house again. "We'll stay for an hour, have some fun, and then you can go home."

  "But I wanna go home, now!" I whine with a pout. I know I sound like an annoying, cranky five-year-old, but I don't care. I want my mommy!

  "Come on, Ethan, live a little." With that, Dugan walks up the front walkway of the house, leaving me and the locked car behind. Unless I wanted to stand outside in the cold autumn air, I had to follow him.

  I stomp across Michael San's front yard and meet Dugan at the front door where he is waiting for me.

  "Are you ready for your first high school party?" Dugan asks me excitedly.

  "Not really," I answer while shaking my head, but Dugan just laughs while grabbing my arm and pulling me into the house.

  And holy shit! If I thought the music outside was loud, this is just insane. I instantly cover my ears with my hands making Dugan laugh at me. He attempts to pry my hands from my ears, but they won't budge. I won't back down on this one. I'll have hearing loss if I walk around this place for an hour! Is he crazy?