Chapter 111: Memories With A Mourning Filter Are Unreliable

Start from the beginning

Inside the house, Mito retrieved a darkened tin box. Upon opening it, a stack of photos appeared. She flipped through them for a while before finally taking out a faded photograph, showing cracks and signs of discoloration.

"Here, this is what your grandfather looked like when he was a child. It was also the photo sent before the engagement."

Although the photo had faded, the main subject was still discernible – a boy who bore a strong resemblance to Nawaki, sporting a watermelon head, striking a pose with a thumbs-up, and smiling with his eyes squinted, revealing a mouthful of teeth.

"How is this possible?! Moreover, even if that's my grandfather, he looks only as old as Tatsuma. How could he be of marrying age?!"

Tsunade continued to shake her head, and Mito, looking at the photo, calmly said, "Back then, there weren't many opportunities to take pictures. The photo I sent at that time had been taken over several years."

Tatsuma pointed to the faded area that resembled shattered glass, saying, "Why does this photo look like it's been crumpled?"

Mito paused at his words, then chuckled, "Back then, I thought Hashirama looked a bit foolish and didn't take me seriously, so I got upset and crumpled it."

As she spoke, she took out another photo – a picture of a girl with twin buns, sitting slightly sideways. Her hands were folded on her thighs, and her eyes were fixed on the camera, giving off an air of dignity. The sides of the photo were slightly faded, corresponding precisely to the position where Mito's fingers were when holding the photo.

"This is a photo I gave to your grandfather. Many years ago."

Tsunade looked at the young girl in the photo, who was only in her teens. Then, she glanced at Mito's current appearance, feeling a bit sentimental. However, she realized something and asked, "So, Grandma, you didn't like that kind of image of grandpa, did you?!"

"Ah?..."

Mito belatedly realized, glancing at Nawaki, who was also looking at the photos. Suddenly, in her mind, Nawaki transformed from the current image to a more naive and innocent version, reminiscent of the youth in her memories.

It was the filter of reminiscence, the blessing of the past, giving her an illusion that the changed Nawaki looked surprisingly good!

"You have a point. The way Nawaki looks now is indeed not very appealing to girls."

"And his choice of clothing."

Orochimaru, with a sinister tone, chimed in.

Suddenly realizing that, Nawaki, who had been protected by Mito, had a chill crept into his heart.

"Gulu~"

Nawaki subconsciously began to step back, one hand covering his head, the other protecting his chest. With a stern expression, he said, "What are you guys... What do you want?! Don't come any closer! This is the witness to the youth between Brother Duy and me! It's the memory of our sweat under the twilight! You guys... don't!!!"

Later on, forced to change back into his old clothes, Nawaki sat disgruntled at the dining table. Muttering phrases like "Give me back my youth" and "You've taken away the fruit watered by my blood and sweat," he wore an expression of sorrow.

Suddenly, he raised his head and looked at Tatsuma and Minato, fiercely stating, "Grandma! Sister! Look at Tatsuma and Minato, their hair doesn't look right, it's too long! It must be short! Better yet, completely bald!"

Tatsuma proudly swayed his bird's nest of hair on his head, saying, "I have naturally curly hair; it only expands, not lengthen!"

His hair tips still reached between his eyebrows and eyes, but the volume had multiplied several times. It resembled a tuft of windblown grass, and the tips didn't obstruct his line of sight. It was one of the few benefits of having naturally curly hair.