Combat training part 2

Author's notes: Yay another part!! I think I need to start reading back to make sure everything still makes sense. ^^' I'm really hoping the next part comes a little faster but with it being the middle of convention season I have been super busy.

Thanks again to everyone that has read and voted so far! I can't believe I have over 1000 reads!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked through the maze of hallways that had become my home. I had lost all track of time living in this underground fortress. It seemed like I had been here for years when in reality I think it has only been a couple months. A lot had happened in that time and I still felt out of place amongst all of these beings that were usually the subject of children's nightmares. I came to a stop in front of the gym and training area and groaned, as I was about to enter my own personal nightmare.

I pushed open the doors and stepped into the gym. It was large and had a lot of equipment in the middle of the room with a running track around its perimeter. It also had a whole bunch of well built men who all had turned to watch as I slipped through the door and let it slam shut behind me.

"Look who finally decided to join us."

I looked over to see Dakota put down the weights he was using and walk over to me.

"I told you to be here on time darlin'. Now you gotta pay the price." He grinned down at me. I took a step back and thought about running back through the doors that I had come in but I'm sure he probably would stop me before I got very far.

"The rest of you continue your training, I'm takin this little girl out to show her the ropes." Dakota smiled as he grabbed my arm and yanked me out the door.

"But I thought..."

"Quiet!" He cut me off before I could say anything.

We went back through the corridors that I had just gone through moments before then stopped abruptly before a set of elevator doors. While we were stopped I took a moment to rub my poor shoulder. It felt like it had been pulled from its socket, and given who it was that had done the pulling I wouldn't be surprised if it had been dislocated.

When the elevator doors opened Dakota pulled me inside and pushed a button. The ride seemed to take forever and I was happy to flee the small metal box once the doors opened once more. I however wasn't given the chance to run. Dakota clamped down on my wrist again to lead me through the building to a set of doors that looked like they went outside.

My heart started racing! I hadn't seen outside in what seemed like forever. I started walking even faster towards the doors, not caring that my entire arm was throbbing by this point. I was so close to feeling the cool breeze and warm sun.

I opened the doors, stepped outside, and immediately covered my eyes with my hands. The light of the sun seared my eyes and made me cry out in pain. It had been so long since I had been out in natural light that my eyes had a hard time adjusting to it, or so I had thought.

I slowly lowered my hands and attempted to open my eyes again just to get the same searing pain shoot through my entire head.

"What is wrong with me?" I sobbed as I covered my eyes again.

"Move your hands." I heard Dakota's voice behind me.

I slowly complied and felt something cold and hard slip over my eyes and ears.

"Now try opening your eyes."

I slowly opened one eye and when there was no pain I opened the other. Dakota had slipped sunglasses on me and when I turned to look at him he was just putting on his own pair.

"Well now that answered one question." He said with a smirk. "Was wondering how much that blood sucker's bite affected you."

I looked up at Dakota with a very confused look on my face. "I don't understand."

Dakota watched me carefully. "Step out into the sunlight."

I shrugged and stepped out from the shade of the building entrance. The sun was warm on my skin but that was all. There was no pain or burning sensation that would indicate some sort of issue.

I sighed with relief. The even more painful light sensitivity to my eyes I could take, but I don't know how I would have reacted if I couldn't go outside during the day at all.

Dakota however was visibly stumped. He seemed to figure I was going to burst into fames or something silly like that. It didn't take him long to regain his composure though and order me to start jogging. He led me around the large building and down a few blocks before turning back to our starting point.

Once we got back inside I removed the sunglasses and thanked the gods for air conditioning. True the sun didn't have that much of an adverse effect on me but it was still hot out and I was clad in black from head to toe.

After our little run outside I had been hoping to go back to my room to shower and put something a little more confortable on but Dakota had other plans. He took me back to the training area and for the rest of the day we went through different areas of combat training. Or at least that is what he told me it was. To me it just seemed like I was flailing around while attempting to punch and kick a red bag that was full of sand.

Dakota finally let me go when I got a few decent looking punches and kicks in. By the time I reached my room I was so sore and tired that I barely made it to my bed before collapsing. I vaguely remember peeling off the black workout clothes and tossing them aside before falling asleep for the rest of the afternoon.