2. The Puppet Masters

Zariah's P.O.V.

The first thing I thought of when I woke up the next night was Caspian. He had talked to me, and sang to me, and I sang with him. I could've done without his bitch of a friend, but whatever.

I made a gagging sound at the thoughts running through my head. Jesus, he's just a guy. A human guy, at that. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. Ugh, I need Topaz. My hunger is making me crazy.

I walked out into the hallway, looking for her. I didn't see her, so I went to look for her in the dining room. She wasn't there either. I checked the living room, the kitchen, and five of the bedrooms before I found her.

"Come here," I grabbed her arm, dragging her off to my room. I shoved her to sit on the bed, using my vampire speed to immediately get on behind her. I pushed her hair to the side, sinking my fangs into her neck without warning. She let out a loud gasp, obviously not expecting it.

I felt her body go limp in my arms, and pulled away a couple minutes later. I sighed, defeated at the fact that the thoughts of Caspian were still whirling around in my head. I didn't have an excuse anymore. I walked over to my mini-fridge, grabbing her usual smoothie, and adding my blood to it. She took it gratefully, and chugged the whole thing in under a minute.

After that, I sat waiting for her to leave, but she didn't. She was just staring at me, calculating. "What?" I asked her rudely.

"I mean, you're always a bitch, but that was ridiculous," she said to me. I glared at her. She was the only person here who was able to call me that without being bitch slapped so hard that she flew across the room. I mean, all of them were right, but there are perks to being someone I don't despise.

"I was hungry," I bluntly lied. 

"No you weren't," she pointed out.

"It isn't any of your business anyways."

"Uhm, yeah it is. I'm the one being attacked."

"I did not 'attack' you."

"Not warning me and just biting is attacking me."

"Except you loved every minute of it."

"Not by choice. It's a chemical reaction."

"Is it? Is it really?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean."

"Get over yourself, Zariah."

"Why else would you deal with my bitchiness?"

"Um, maybe because I'm your consort, and I have to?"

"You could have a different vampire."

"No one else will deal with you."

"Have you ever actually asked?"

"Yes, actually. I have."

That felt like a slap to the face. I thought I had actually found someone who I could tolerate, and who could tolerate me, and it turned out she had asked to switch vampires, but was denied. "Leave now," I said to her, as politely as possible. I was not gonna let her know that that bothered me.

"Thank you," she said rudely, walking out the door with a glare on her face. I slumped back on my bed. Just when I think I have someone who I can depend on... I shook my head, ridding it of the terrible thoughts about to surface. I took a couple deep, calming breaths, and was about to go for another walk, when there was a knock on my door. I groaned in frustration. I just wanted to see Caspian.