Chapter 1 - Shruthi's Death

It is the month of September, rain clouds gracefully released their water over the bustling city of Mumbai. The rain saturated the streets as the overcast sky painted a serene backdrop. Amidst the rhythmic rain, a church emerged, showcasing its majestic architecture against the downpour. The church, with its tranquil ambiance, stood tall and dignified. As the raindrops continued their dance, a teenage boy ventured into the church. Upon entering, the striking architecture of the church unfolded before him. The high ceiling was adorned with lights and fans, evenly spaced, creating an intricate and majestic space. The light filtering through the windows painted vibrant colors on the stone-surfaced floor, enhancing the beauty of the surroundings.

The boy's footsteps echoed softly, as he walked down throughout the church. The boys finds a place for himself and started muttering in front of Jesus statue, "Dear Father, today the city venturing in rain same me also venturing with grief of my friend's death. Shruthi, she was the bravest among us, a kind hearted girl. She was a born mute girl but her spirit spoke than that. But today she is gone from the world and most shocking was she did suicide. It is hard to believe, why should she did like that? She set us as an example, how should we live our life? But today, she did that I am totally confused here." As he was lost in his thoughts, a gentle voice called him from behind, "Daniel."

Startled, Daniel turned around to find Father Thomas, the elderly priest of the church, standing behind him with a comforting smile. The soft glow of candles around the Jesus statue illuminated the compassion in Father Thomas's eyes. He spoke gently, "Daniel, my son, I overheard your prayers. I understand the weight of grief you carry in your heart. Sometimes, life presents us with questions that are difficult to answer." With grief in his eyes, Daniel replied, "Father, after this church, the only place I am happier is around my friends. Today, one of us is not there. What's more, she committed suicide. That's what I can't accept." The boy's grief was palpable, and the priest sensed the heaviness in his heart. Father Thomas continued, "Losing someone we care about is one of the most challenging aspects of life. And when it happens through something as bewildering as suicide, the questions become even more difficult to answer."

Thomas then further said, "By the way, what about her family? Did you all meet them?" Daniel took a deep breath, wiping away a tear, and replied, "Father, we haven't had the courage to face her family yet. We're afraid of how they'll react, especially considering the circumstances of Shruthi's passing." Father Thomas nodded understandingly, "It's a delicate situation, Daniel. Facing the grieving family is never easy, especially when the cause of their loved one's departure is so painful. However, offering your support and condolences can bring comfort in unexpected ways." Encouraged by Father Thomas's words, Daniel decided it was time to extend a compassionate hand to Shruthi's family.

He gathered the strength to visit Shruthi's home. The rain had eased, leaving a refreshing scent in the air as they walked through the city streets. Upon reaching Shruthi's home, he was greeted by Shruthi's parents. After a few moments, we see Daniel and Shruthi's parents in the living room. As they sat together in the living room, the atmosphere shifted from sorrow to a bittersweet acknowledgment of the vibrant life Shruthi had lived. Her father started saying, "Shruthi was a gift for us. After 10 long years of marriage, she came into our life. In the deepest down moment, she never let her smile fade away. Daniel, I still remember a few days ago. You, Ravi, Maya, Ismael, and Shruthi, how you all were making fun of each other and enjoying those moments. Daniel, do you know if she was suffering from any trauma?"

As the room resonated with tears, Daniel gathered the strength to respond, "Shruthi never mentioned anything that would indicate she was going through a difficult time. She was always the source of positivity among us, spreading joy and laughter wherever she went. Her spirit was indomitable." Shruthi's mother, with tearful eyes, added, "She was indeed a blessing to us. Always full of life, but it's just fate. Daniel, since Shruthi is not with us, don't forget us. You all visit us often." Overwhelmed by a mix of emotions. Daniel nodded earnestly, promising to stay connected with Shruthi's family and offer support in their time of grief. The rain outside seemed to echo the collective sorrow within the room, as if nature itself was mourning the loss of a bright soul.