Chapter 14

Note: this story has been published through Self Publishing. Keep in mind that the Wattpad version is only the first draft! For the polished version without the many mistakes, buy a copy!

Where can you order a copy, you ask? Please use Create Space, because they give me more royalties!

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

========

When my last lesson ended on Thursday, I told Simon to leave me alone for a while. He’d wanted to play Guitar Hero with me, but I really needed to call Anne now. I’d waited way too long and I didn’t even know why. It was time to get back to my old life. I wouldn’t and couldn’t turn my back on everything I’d experienced when I’d still thought I was completely human.

Anne picked up her phone immediately after the first ring. ‘Dem – is it really you?’

‘Yes, Anne, it’s me.’

I heard an excited scream and I could just see her do her excited little dance she always did when she was happy. ‘I saw your name on the display, but I didn’t dare hope!’

‘I’m sorry I didn’t call sooner, but I was busy…’ I did feel kind of guilty.

‘Don’t you worry, I am glad you called; late is better than never. Besides, I didn’t call either.’

‘True.’

‘How’s your school?’ Anne asked, excited. ‘How are the guys? Delicious or geeky?’

‘Both,’ I said, grinning. ‘My friend Simon is kind of cute and real nice. And there is this guy, Eros, who is… smoking hot.’

‘You befriended a guy in your first week?’ Anne asked, chuckling. ‘Let me guess, no girls yet?’

‘Erm, no…’ I said, confused. ‘What’s your point?’

‘That’s so you, Dem. If I hadn’t been there, you would have never left Greg’s basement. Not in this life.’

I grinned. ‘You’ve got a point. Well, he had Guitar Hero, that’s reason enough to spend a lot of time with him.’

‘His refrigerator full of chocolate and beer was the other reason,’ Anne said seriously. ‘But enough of this: tell me about Simon.’

‘Well, he’s a fai-’ For the first time, I realized I couldn’t tell her or any of my old friends about the supernatural world I’d enrolled in. Anne thought I had a dental problem and maybe some kind of allergy that made me really sensitive to the sun. I couldn’t tell her the truth. One of the many rules of being a supe was that you had to keep it all a secret. This seriously sucked.

‘He’s what?’ Anne asked, confused.

‘He’s a fairly nice guy,’ I said, happy with the way I’d made it work. ‘He’s got dark brown eyes and…’

For about an hour, I told her all there was to know about Simon, Eros, the lessons and my roommates – without the supernatural bits, of course. She reacted just the way I knew she would – overexcited, sweet and just very… Anne-like. I felt almost like nothing had changed and I was still a geeky, strange, screaming high school kid in the human world. But I wasn’t, and I would never be again. Within years I would probably only come out at night. I would never ever be like Anne again. And as I couldn’t tell her what was going on with me, she would never be the same friend she once had been. We’d told each other everything, and that had to stop now.